Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I dont know what to do....

So the story begins with a 1977 malaguti (italian moped) i got the moped through a craigslist deal and i was never able to get it running, so it sat in my friends trailer for about a year or so.

2 weeks ago i was on craigslist again and this fellow with a 1995 SL 750 agreed to trade with me

Took the ski home, cleaned the carbs out, replaced some fuel lines, and was able to get it started today but depending on how the flywheel and/or bendix are oriented I will not get any cranking but when i do it does turn over and run!

The Dilemma: so far I have 20$ in the ski and I found a flywheel shipped for 35$, I'm very capable of doing the job but I've been told the flywheels are a very common problem on the 750's
    Dilemma part 2: what if its the bendix?

OR i could just sell it as is and look for another toy, suggestions are not only welcome but the sole reason i'm posting

Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    You have to pull the flywheel anyways to replace it. You can find a used bendix for 20 or 30 bucks. Its a really easy swap once the flywheel is off.

I see in your "troupe" you have a 95 750 as well, have you ever cracked a tooth on the flywheel?

Banned User
    +1
    Nope. Its not common as far as I know. Probably someone hitting the start button while its running.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by buggy07740 View Post
    So the story begins with a 1977 malaguti (italian moped) i got the moped through a craigslist deal and i was never able to get it running, so it sat in my friends trailer for about a year or so.

2 weeks ago i was on craigslist again and this fellow with a 1995 SL 750 agreed to trade with me

Took the ski home, cleaned the carbs out, replaced some fuel lines, and was able to get it started today but depending on how the flywheel and/or bendix are oriented I will not get any cranking but when i do it does turn over and run!

The Dilemma: so far I have 20$ in the ski and I found a flywheel shipped for 35$, I'm very capable of doing the job but I've been told the flywheels are a very common problem on the 750's
    Dilemma part 2: what if its the bendix?

OR i could just sell it as is and look for another toy, suggestions are not only welcome but the sole reason i'm posting

Thanks
    Like Bryan said, you have to pull the flywheel to replace it. If the bendix is even remotely suspect, I would replace it. I have a nice spare I can get to you for a good price if interested. (I would personally inspect and replace if suspect, even if you don't get one from me.) PM me if you are interested.....

+1
    If you need a Bendix you can get a brand new one for $32 shipped on ebay.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk

If you decide to keep the Polaris, or even if you are not yet sure, see my signature links. Lots of good info for a new-to-you watercraft owner.

One point I think is worth making; do not value the machine, or the cost of repairs, based solely on what you paid for it to begin with. Look more at what it's value to you will be over time.

The general process is that it takes some up front effort and cost to get a given machine into reliable and water worthy condition. Not just to fix whatever seems broken right now, but also to minimize the trouble later on.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

You will not get any cranking, but when you do, it starts. Do you mean the starter is spinning, but doesn't engage the engine? Or you get intermittent starter operation?

+1
    The Flyweels are pretty good, out of all the Polaris 750 and 780 motors that I have pulled, however sometimes water gets in the housing and can rust up some of the Bendix, or even metal debris can cause the Bendix to not slide forward sometimes,

when you pull the flyweel, be careful not to screw the 3 bolts for the puller far into the Flyweel about a quarter inch in works for me if you go to far in and as your wrenching it down if the fly turns your bolts can DMG. the Stator, also when taking the fly off most of the time it Pops off be careful,

if you need a Bendix I will send you one for free, oh and one more thing its alway good to put in the flyweel and Mate Stator to it as a pair but I dont think this to be your issue also if you have the single feed fuel pump take it off and toss it in the trash get a 3 way fuel pump off of a 780 and thats should be your biggest concern as well.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by caliburn View Post

if you need a Bendix I will send you one for free,
    Deal of the day!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information