Long Island, NY

milky creamy substance coming out of my PTO cylinder?

Ok so I have my 1994 SL 750 that I'm working on. The ski has been sitting for a few years and I'm in the process of getting it back to running condition. I was checking the compression on my cylinders. MAG and CEN both read around 120. I put the test on the PTO cylinder and the psi was going through the roof (200+). I took the tester off and saw a milky creamy fluid coming out of the spark plug hole. I'm assuming since this ski was sitting for a while that this is old oil and water? Am I going to have to completely take the motor apart or can I just take the cylinder off and clean out whats inside? What else should I be looking for?

Banned User
    Milwaukee WI
    If its wet in there you most likely have a bad/rusted crank.

3. +1 by:

Medina, Ohio, United States
    You can take one jug (cylinder) off, but to do that you will have to remove the exhaust manifold bolts. Once you get it off, you will be able to take a look at the crank. As Bryan said, if it is water, then the crank will likely be rusty. If this is the case, you will need to rebuild or replace the crank which means complete and total tear down of the entire motor assembly......

North Central Arkansas
    I've seen some do this and more than likely somebody didn't winterize properly and the cylinder expanded just enough to break the base gasket loose. Then when it thaws it drains into the crankcase.Sometimes it also cracks the cylinder. If there was enough old oil residue inside there is a chance the crank will be fine. In fact I just took apart a Seadoo 580 that had water in the case BUT, there was a thick coating of old oily sludge in there too. After a bath with agitene the crank was like new and all bearings spin perfectly. Also after you take the head and exhaust manifold bolts off of that cylinder, you can knock it loose with a rubber mallet without removing the whole manifold.

Thread Information