Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Project CamoToe Waverunner 800 XL resto

First things first, it's a 2000 Yamaha Waverunner Xl 800

So my friend had this jetski sitting under a tree for a little over a year. I finally asked him what the deal was and after some conversation I ended up towing it home. He was given the ski from a friend to keep as long as he kept it up for whenever the owner wanted to ride it. Well the owner is a multimillionare and basically forgot about the ski. Now that I have it I got it running after changing a fuse and some basic maintenance. It ran for a few months then all of a sudden it died while towing someone on an innertube. I primarily used the ski for wakeskating and it ran like a champ for months. It slowly died like it ran out of gas. After troubleshooting for quite some time I just gave up. Now that it's been sitting for months looking at me, the guilt finally sank in. I came to the conclusion that I'm tired of all my friends having nice ski's and mine looks like some ghetto ski. So I'm taking it all apart, handing off the engine to a mechanic, and I'm doing all the cosmetic stuff.

I'm getting to the point of flipping it over and working on the hull. The previous owner just poured resin all over the bottom because of the damage done by beaching it. So while I'm dealing with that crap, I need to order the necessities for the engine. The carbs are pretty bad, one is ceased. My guy is going to take it apart so I'll need a carb rebuild kit. Other than that, what else should I get while the engine is out and easily accessable. I'd like to put this thing back together and not have to do anything but maintenance on it for a while.

I did some searching but it would be killer if you guys could point me towards the right threads/direction for some answers.

The main issues are
    -What should I fully do to the engine before putting it back in the ski?
    -I removed the choke, what's a good primer kit?
    -I'm having a hard time getting the driveshaft, impellor, jet housing off the ski. Are the bearrings pressed on, what am I missing? When everything is together it will spin about a quarter spin before you can feel it binding a little. I think the driveshaft may be bent.
    -I'm having trouble finding bright "hunter" orange for the seats, anyone know a good site for orange marine vinyl? I have a couple samples from some sites on the way.

That's a good start, I'll keep updating the thread with new questions and progress so keep checking back and helping me out!

Now for what everyone is waiting for!
    The night I brought it home..

The concept

Starting the disassembly and removed some stickers.

After a few parts come off I found some friends to help take the ski off so I can fix the trailer

The axle was shot. It broke half way to my friends place. :\

Might as well do some improvements while I'm working on it. I found an old trailer and used some donor parts. Along with fabricating a stand.

Now the powerplant..

Now take everything out. I threw away stuff that I'm not going to reuse. The reverse was ceased when I got it so I threw that out, the oil situation didn't work so thats out, speedometer gone, tilt gone, choke gone, along with all the stuff that goes along with it.

Starting to see some progress.. and some cleaning!

Because I took the oil, reverse, and water spout out; you gotta fill the holes..

Took off the mirrors and the emblem on the hood. I sanded down the raised part where the emblem was too.

Also covered up where the reverse and choke were..

All that space! there's gotta be SOMETHING I could put there... how about some tunes!

Time to start sanding..

So this is where I'm at now. About 60% done sanding the top, then I'm going to build a stand and flip it over. Once it's flipped over I'm going to keep trying to get the impellor and driveshaft out. Thanks for checking out the thread so far. I'll keep updating it as I go.

+1
    Nice build! I used to own the same XL 800 back in the day, fun ski for sure.

If your going through all the trouble on this take all the bumpers off and put new ones on after paint. Its maybe 130 dollars worth or parts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    If your going through all the trouble on this take all the bumpers off and put new ones on after paint. Its maybe 130 dollars worth or parts.
    Not even? Aren't they only held on my rivots? I bought a box of like 150 rivots and a gun all for $30-$40 at harbor freight. That was of course, on my seadoo.

Yeah I was going to take the front bumper off since I have a splash guard I need to put on. The back section went over the padding so I need to take that off just to remove the old padding. I'm going to lay mat down the full length of the foot area, not in sections; and have it come over the edges. The side bumpers aren't riveted on, they're actually glued on so they are staying. I will paint them though.

This was a free ski so I'm not looking to put too much money into it. Especially since I'm probably moving back to the states in 3-4 years and I'll end up just leaving this ski here for my friends. I don't mind buying the tools to do the project as I hope to do this for a hobby when I move back to the states. But 130 bucks is hard to swallow for anything on this ski. I'm trying to keep it under $1000 for EVERYTHING and I'm sure that will mostly go towards the motor.

I have a question, the dash never worked. Well it would beep when the gas was low, but nothing else worked. Is there a way I could bypass having one or just leave the connection piece in the ski somewhere? The OE replacements are $770 LOL. Even used ones on ebay are going for >200. The main thing I'd even like to have is the gas level reading, but im so used to just opening the hood and looking, it doesn't bother me. Has anyone used the oil take as a reserve tank? The oil pickup/pump never worked and I always premixed, so it's been bone dry since I've had it. Now that I took it out, I was thinking maybe I could utilize it. If that becomes too much of a hassle I'ma just toss it.

Banned User
    +1
    If the side rails are anything like my Polaris ones, they used 2 sided tape to hold them on.

side rails are screwed in and double sided taped on. I did the same job years ago on my xlt 800 thats shown in my avatar. When you drill out the back rivets on the corner rear pieces the center pulls out exposing the torqx screws and after that its a tough pull but they come off. If you unbolt the front nose piece held on by 4 nuts under the rub rail you can slide the center rub rail out to see what I am talking about from the front as well. If you dont want to tackle the job the center section slids right back in too!

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by GatorBait View Post
    Yeah I was going to take the front bumper off since I have a splash guard I need to put on. The back section went over the padding so I need to take that off just to remove the old padding. I'm going to lay mat down the full length of the foot area, not in sections; and have it come over the edges. The side bumpers aren't riveted on, they're actually glued on so they are staying. I will paint them though.

This was a free ski so I'm not looking to put too much money into it. Especially since I'm probably moving back to the states in 3-4 years and I'll end up just leaving this ski here for my friends. I don't mind buying the tools to do the project as I hope to do this for a hobby when I move back to the states. But 130 bucks is hard to swallow for anything on this ski. I'm trying to keep it under $1000 for EVERYTHING and I'm sure that will mostly go towards the motor.

I have a question, the dash never worked. Well it would beep when the gas was low, but nothing else worked. Is there a way I could bypass having one or just leave the connection piece in the ski somewhere? The OE replacements are $770 LOL. Even used ones on ebay are going for >200. The main thing I'd even like to have is the gas level reading, but im so used to just opening the hood and looking, it doesn't bother me. Has anyone used the oil take as a reserve tank? The oil pickup/pump never worked and I always premixed, so it's been bone dry since I've had it. Now that I took it out, I was thinking maybe I could utilize it. If that becomes too much of a hassle I'ma just toss it.
    Leave the oil tank, its always been a thought but execution to make a second tank was always difficlut at best. The 800 doesnt use that much fuel anyway. The display, your gonna have leave what you have or bite the bullet and find a used one. No bypassing possible.

10. +1 by:

+1
    A lot of work but it's looking good, keep us updated on the project.

scittb Sweet thanks for the info on the rails. I'm just gonna end up tossing the oil tank and making the straps tighter. Now I'm contemplating finding something to utilize the space where the dash is or getting a new dash.

I did a sht load more sanding today and started to get some work done on the foot area. I'm gonna build the stand tomorrow so I can flip her over and work on the bottom.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information