CV carb questions

I've got a bone stock 2001 1100 Zxi that I took possession of last year. It has very low hours (less than 50 probably) and has been kept garaged its whole life. It was running fine up until the end of 2011, when the previous owner said that it started bogging down and wouldn't go over 4000 rpm. He gave me the ski and last summer I drained all the fuel, installed a new fuel filter and filled it with a 50/50 mix of super unleaded and 100LL aviation fuel. I got it running at home (very hard to start and didn't want to idle), then took it to the lake and ran one full tank out of it. Again it didn't want to idle - had to give it part throttle to get it through no wake zones - but ran like a raped ape at full throttle. Max RPM, sounded nice and smooth. Got back and it still didn't want to idle. On land it would idle somewhat roughly and after a few seconds it would "cough" - almost sounded like a backfire - and then quit.
    What suggestions would y'all have? I'm about to get to work on it. First thoughts were carb cleaning/overhaul. What exactly is involved in the cleaning aspect? Also where would the best place to purchase a carb kit be?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions,

Tom

+1
    While I've got a couple of 'Skis that have CV carbs, I've never had to go into them. I don't believe they sell a kit for them, you buy the parts individually. They're expensive, I know that.

Don't run 100LL in that engine. It's got a ton of lead and will foul the spark plugs quickly. Unless the compression has been increased, that engine runs best on 87 octane.

What do the spark plugs look like?

The plugs look fine. I don't always run a 100LL mix - only when I think something may be gummed up in the carb. I'm an aircraft mechanic and have easy access to a few gallons of avgas whenever I need. Been doing this for years in two and four stroke engines and it usually does help.

+1
    As an A&P, surely you've seen how badly 100LL fouls airplane plugs. Lead balls in the plugs, etc. Higher octane adds nothing to performance in a stock compression engine, it just adds to the cost.

Very true, but it is also an excellent cleaner. If you stick your hand in regular unleaded it comes out with a film, but with 100LL it comes out very dry, removing all the oils from your skin as well. I've had other engines that were really hard to start, ran one tank of 100LL through, and then they would crank almost immediately after that. Only one tank, mind you - after that back to unleaded. Not enough to foul the plugs.
    Plus, if a plug was fouled the ski wouldn't run so well at power - and she does - purrs like a kitten. I was thinking possibly a clogged pilot jet?

+1
    Yes, could be plugging of the pilot jet, but have you tried adjusting it?

Let it idle for a couple minutes, shut if off, then pull the plugs and see what they look like.

Thread Information