+1

What are your thoughts on the overall reliability of the Weber engine MSX models?

Some people seem to have a Negative attitude about these skis, I would like your honest opinion about this ski MSX 110

thank you for your input
    Last edited by K447; 03-01-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Banned User
    +1
    For me personally, I wouldn't touch a 110 or 150. Way too expensive to repair.

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    +1 - I had an MSX 150 and after reading up a bunch on it, it was enough to scare me off....I resold it broken.

+1
    +2... i spent a fortune using all the latest weber parts, fitting a bigger turbo, mapped ecu. and still got fed up with the engine.

the hulls are awsome though....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    When they are running well, the Weber engined MSX 110 and 150 are well liked by their owners. Good power, excellent fuel economy.

There are several well known issues with the factory engine configuration, including a propensity towards oil contamination of the air intake tract and sensors. An upgrade oil tank kit solves most of this problem, along with an oil catch can.

Frequent oil changes are a must, especially with the stock ECU which runs the engine very rich, diluting the oil. Third party ECU upgrade and available turbo upgrade improve engine reliability, fuel economy and power.

Limited space around the engine makes it hard to work on, especially the first few times when you don't yet know the best way to get at things.

Weber engine parts are expensive and a full engine rebuild can be eye watering.

All that said, MSX 110 and 150 with problems can often be purchased for cheap, especially if the seller does not know how to deal with the more common problems.

More info available via my signature links.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by spannerspencer View Post
    +2... i spent a fortune using all the latest weber parts, fitting a bigger turbo, mapped ecu. and still got fed up with the engine.

An engine conversion with a SeaDoo 4-Tec engine in an MSX hull solves all the Weber concerns.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spannerspencer View Post

An engine conversion with a SeaDoo 4-Tec engine in an MSX hull solves all the Weber concerns.

Or a 2 stroke like Keddano did....

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48356

+1
    I have an MSX 150. I bought it cheap... cause it had issues (low compression from a major overheat). I'm still working out the issues... currently in reassembly with a replacement (non-warped) block.

I can agree with everyone... it is expensive for parts. ($150 each piston (can't just buy piston rings) and $60 headgasket as a few examples)

But I'm hopeful this will fix it... and I'll have a good running, 4-stroke, powerful, "clean emissions" (likely soon to be the law in greenie WA state), ski that won't smoke out the kids I'm pulling on tubes/wakeboards/skis.

Cheers!

+1
    Ok so I bought one awhile back and it had 80 something hours on it and everything checked out with it and resold it after doing a full service, now I bought another at a reasonable price, new that the oil tanks go bad and the one I got now only 40 hours, oil apears to be greenish looks as if maybe the green antifreeze is mixing with the oil, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130301_122540.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	293825, so just trying to keep the MSX on the water, I think they are Nice looking skis and if preventive maintenance is done on them just like on any ski, they are good ski's.

Thread Information