Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please Help! 2002 Polaris Virage won't start.

Hi all,

I bought a 2002 Polaris Virage ski from a buddy a few months ago and was told all it needed was a new battery. I went out and bought one and, viola, the ski started up without a hitch. I took the ski in to be winterized. The marina replaced the bilge pump for me and the spark plugs. When I picked it up, the marina started it up and it sounded great. I took the jet ski home and put her away in the garage.

About a week ago I received a waterproof sound system to be installed on my ski, so naturally I brought the ski out. Upon completion, I tried turning the ski on and it wouldn't start (note: this is still just the ski; I had not attached the sound system up to the battery). The display unit showed that the battery had 11.7v, but when I began cranking the ski, the voltage dropped to 9.8v, 9.4v, 8.8v, until it read 'low battery.' So, I took the battery to be charged and was told it was full, so I exchanged it for another new battery and the same story played over and the battery kept dropping significantly upon cranking. I am aware that the engine needs 10.6v while cranking to start.

My question is what is happening to make the ski not start now when it was just fine on multiple occasions?

Thanks

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to The Hulk!

Use a digital volt meter on the battery terminals to determine the voltage. The one built into the MFI is not accurate. If it is dropping like that then either:

-Battery is shot
    -Battery is undersized
    -Starter is failing (internal short) causing it to draw a lot more current
    -Bad connection in the high current wiring
    -Failing starter relay (common)

Read up in detail the info found in my signature links. There are two sections for the domestic engine found in your ski, one for carb models and one for fuel injected. Which do you have?
    Last edited by K447; 03-02-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Banned User
    +1
    I would suspect the battery. When you are cranking the engine, does it sound labored at all of is the cranking speed low?

If you are getting that kind of voltage drop, I would start by checking the connections for all the starter circuit wiring. Check your main ground cable where it attaches to the engine. It connects on the left side of the engine looking from the PTO end. Its just above the drive coupler on the side of the motor.

What version start solenoid do you have. Just tell us what color it is. If its black plastic with a metal backing plate, it probably needs to be replaced.

Check the connection of the large red wire where it attaches to the starter. Its under the exhaust manifold, but it can be reached.

Check those things out and let us know what you find.
    Last edited by K447; 03-02-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    Welcome to The Hulk!

Use a digital volt meter on the battery terminals to determine the voltage. The one built into the MFI is not accurate. If it is dropping like that then either:

-Battery is shot
    -Battery is undersized
    -Starter is failing (internal short) causing it to draw a lot more current
    -Bad connection in the high current wiring
    -Failing starter relay (common)

Read up in detail the info found in my signature links. There are two sections for the domestic engine found in your ski, one for carb models and one for fuel injected. Which do you have?
    Agree with all the above.

If the battery is indeed strong, another potential cause for slow cranking is seized bearings in the jet pump. To diagnose this, after covering the above items, remove the jet pump and drive shaft. See my signature links for more info.

5. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'd be checking to see what spark plugs got put in. I'd wager they are not the correct ones.

Okay so I got the batter, which is new, checked and it was reading just about 12V. Is a 12V battery too small for this ski, and should I go purchase a higher voltage one? The ski is still dropping to around 9.8V while cranking.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    No, you cannot purchase a "higher" voltage" battery, they only come in "12v".

but the only thing I'm interested in at this moment is what spark plugs are currently installed.

The battery you bought needs to sit on a trickle charger for day or two, let me know what plugs in there and we'll see what is next.

do you have a digital voltmeter on hand?

you _cannot_ depend on the dashboard voltmeter to be accurate.

to get accurate help, you need to respond to what each member is asking..and the way I see a running ski isn't going to stop running..EXCEPT when the "marina" changes the spark plugs, and without some experience with polar skis, it's all to easy to fall into the trap of using the "substitute" spark plug.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    All these batteries are 12v - you cant "get a higher voltage one". What you are thinking is the amperage it can deliver rated in AH or CCA.

9.8 is way to low needs to be almost 11v. If the battery is the proper size, have it load tested. It is likley bad. If its not bad, its one of the issues I listed above.

10. +1 by:

The spark plugs say NGK R BR7ES

And no I do not have a voltmeter on hand I took it to be checked at my auto store.

Guys... I'm sorry, but I'm an idiot.

I forgot to turn the fuel line back on after storing it. Sorry for the trouble, just glad it's working.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information