Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    SCHNORR12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    834
    +1
    92

    Garmin GPS Questions

    I was looking into the Garmin 76cx. Do you need to purchase the maps in order to use this GPS? They are an additional $160. Does anyone have any experience with this specific GPS? I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on it quite yet. Thanks.


  2. #2
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    Posts
    6,520
    +1
    1,269
    My go to GPS is a Map76, a previous model to yours. It is an old model however..don't know how long the cx has been out but I was envous of a color screen back in the day.
    Garmin mapsend and bluewaters map products are additional, so you should be getting this unit only if the price is great. I have the extra maps as I got them from garmin on the cuff..I'm sure you could find a properly equipped unit at your pricepoint if you look at all the current offerings and vendors. I'm sure you can find some gps talk on a number of web forums too.

    The map76 is about bulletproof and it is rated for 10 meters submersion and it also floats. Seadoo had a glove box cover option at one time that fir the map76 like a glove.

  3. #3
    Kaybat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    1,735
    +1
    28
    i like mine, but kind of tuff to read when moving(my eyesight's getting chiddy).

    If i'm not mistaken, the 76 series has been discontinued by garmin,although they're are still available at some retailers

  4. #4
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    LA/oc
    Posts
    3,911
    +1
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHNORR12 View Post
    I was looking into the Garmin 76cx. Do you need to purchase the maps in order to use this GPS? They are an additional $160. Does anyone have any experience with this specific GPS? I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on it quite yet. Thanks.
    You do. Not need maps to use it has built in base maps most navigating is done by entering lat and long cords any ways and using the compas pointer it's a great unit. The new one is the 78 series with little difference.

  5. #5
    83Gator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Amant, LA
    Posts
    6,018
    +1
    304
    Here's my 2 as a seasoned 76Csx owner/user:

    First, if you're just needing a GPS for test & tune/speeds, you don't need this much of a GPS. If you're wanting it for "trail riding", so to speak, read on:

    Yes, the 76 has been discontinued - likely you may still find some in a box or near new. And if you do, you should be seeing a considerable savings. The upgrade to the 76 is the 78 series, which you can find different models here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161 Like anything, bells & whistles = $$$.

    Forget Garmin's included "base map" as a means of beta. Basically, base map will give you your location on earth between two oceans... really, it's crap. You will have to buy maps and Garmin really sticks it to you in that regards. That being said, I love my 76 - I've beat the hell out of it for about 4 to 5 years and it's never let me down. Solid stuff.

    I'm not sure of the mapset names for the 78, but for the 76, all you needed for PWCing was US Inland Lakes. As also mentioned, one other drawback (indigenous to most handhelds) is screen size. If you need reading glasses, it can be a PITA. But other than screen size (age...) and perhaps price, I'd really consider going to the 78 if my 76 died.

    I also like the PC interface for "blazing trails". If you go Garmin, I'd suggest you take a look at BaseCamphttp:http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp (a free download) or HomePort https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=64242 (a $30.00 download). Although I do quite a bit of mapping*, I'm not experienced w/either of these tools. I'm still using the older MapSource software, which has also been discontinued.

    *For more about trail riding by PWC, I'd ask you to look at my website in my sig. below - PWC Trail Finder. I don't know if anything is near you, but all the trails on my site are free downloads that you can use on your handheld.

    I hope this helps - good luck w/your purchase.

  6. +1 by:


  7. #6
    SCHNORR12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    834
    +1
    92
    Thank you all for the help. How would you recommend mounting something like the Garmin 76cx?

  8. #7
    83Gator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Amant, LA
    Posts
    6,018
    +1
    304
    While SeaDoo does (or did) sell the optional glove box lid for the 76, I don't know if it's compatible with a 2010. Although I do have one and have gotten use to it, I would recommend a handle bar configuration. While the glove box lid is OEM, looks and works great - it does take your eyes off the trail. A handlebar configuration will keep you looking where you should be.

    See if this link works: http://www.rammount.com/Products/GPS...Default.aspx#/ RAM Mounts are very good. I started you off, by selecting the 76 Cs, then told it I wanted a bicycle (handlebar) mount.

    If the above link doesn't work, try this one: http://www.rammount.com/Products/GPS...Default.aspx#/ and go to step #1 (Select your device)

    Good luck.

    PS: You may also get some tips in the GH PWC fishing section, found here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=213

  9. #8
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    Posts
    6,520
    +1
    1,269
    Velco works pretty well for mounting and if you have a seadoo, you might luck out and find the map 76 glovebox lid cover which makes it a custom fit.

    Buy high quality nimh batteries for it if you will use it a bit. Lithium's are great if you are hiking and can't charge up but are costly. There is a 12v adapter cord available for the 76 series..a bit pricy however.

    My 76 is a constant companion when I'm on the water or way out in the boonies hunting. There are nicer usint available, but for bang for the buck I don't think the 76 series can be beat.

  10. #9
    SCHNORR12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    834
    +1
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    While SeaDoo does (or did) sell the optional glove box lid for the 76, I don't know if it's compatible with a 2010. Although I do have one and have gotten use to it, I would recommend a handle bar configuration. While the glove box lid is OEM, looks and works great - it does take your eyes off the trail. A handlebar configuration will keep you looking where you should be.

    See if this link works: http://www.rammount.com/Products/GPS...Default.aspx#/ RAM Mounts are very good. I started you off, by selecting the 76 Cs, then told it I wanted a bicycle (handlebar) mount.

    If the above link doesn't work, try this one: http://www.rammount.com/Products/GPS...Default.aspx#/ and go to step #1 (Select your device)

    Good luck.

    PS: You may also get some tips in the GH PWC fishing section, found here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=213
    I looked for the glove box lid but could not find anything for the 2010. I will look into those mounts.

    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Velco works pretty well for mounting and if you have a seadoo, you might luck out and find the map 76 glovebox lid cover which makes it a custom fit.

    Buy high quality nimh batteries for it if you will use it a bit. Lithium's are great if you are hiking and can't charge up but are costly. There is a 12v adapter cord available for the 76 series..a bit pricy however.

    My 76 is a constant companion when I'm on the water or way out in the boonies hunting. There are nicer usint available, but for bang for the buck I don't think the 76 series can be beat.
    I couldn't find a glove box lid. I'll make sure to use quality batteries. I think I will pass on the 12v adapter until I see how much I really use the GPS. I found a 76cx at the local West Marine for $150, which is why I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on it.

  11. #10
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    Posts
    6,520
    +1
    1,269
    $150 is a great price for the cx, the map76 sold back in the day for like $300. Don't think you'll do much better than that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Garmin gps question
    By james747 in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2016, 09:59 PM
  2. Mounting an Garmin GPS
    By golson in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
  3. Garmin GPS 72 question
    By xBigDaddyx117 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 09:32 PM
  4. garmin gps question
    By CarFanatic in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2006, 09:06 PM
  5. Garmin GPS use question?
    By Pale Rider in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 05:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •