Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXP Battery HELP!! On-board stereo and Start power, NEED JUICE!

Hello everyone, I am rather new to the forum (posting wise,) but I have used the forum many many times and really appreciate all of the info on here! I did a search and have not been able to find much help on this issue, so i am hoping I can find a good answer this way.

I have speakers installed in the mirrors of my RXP, with a JBL amp mounted to the fiberglass under the storage bin. I previously had a separate battery to run the amp, but after problems with brackets and mounting of the 2nd battery, I decided to pull it out. I mostly use the stereo only when I am cruising, so I do not need all of the additional power provided by a separate battery. Since I eliminated the 2nd battery, I purchased a battery tender to keep the battery full between uses.

*THE ISSUE*: I am still using my stock OEM battery from 09, and it is struggling to hold a charge. I believe that due to its age, it is going bad and it is time for a replacement. The battery is slow in turning the engine over, and after a few starts without a charge, it cannot supply enough power to the amp, so the amp will put itself in protect mode due to lack of power. I want to replace with a more powerful battery THAT STILL FITS in the stock battery bracket!! I looked at the Odyssey pc925, and it is very high on my list , but I am concerned that it will not fit (even sideways) in the bracket.

*The Question*: What is the most powerful battery that will fit in my OEM battery bracket, with little to NO modifications. I do not really care about weight, I just want a good battery that will fit in the bracket.

Thanks again in advance for any info!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speakers2.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	293882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speakers.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	293883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amp.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	293884  

+1
    Get rid of the wet battery and put a good AGM battery in there and you should be fine. DEKA is good and there are others. You also need to check your charging system to be sure it is working. Put a volt meter on the battery and check voltage then start the ski and the voltage should rise.

+1
    Go to a Carquest and get one of their agm batteries. They are made by east penn right here in the USA. They are very high quality batteries. Mine has sat all winter hooked up and it started the ski the other day after sitting idle for four months without a charger on it.

Paul

+1
    It even worth making a few modifications for a AGM battery..I have mine for 4 years. The only thinking I do is disconnecting it during winter and reconnect it. No charge, I press the start button and the engine starts in milliseconds.

+1
    If you have a battery source near you go and look for this AGM. It was about $125 and it comes with a spacer to fit the stock bracket perfectly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1308095714084.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	293939  

Alright thanks for all the tips.
    Any opinions on the walmart EverStart batteries... it says AGM?

I deff want an AGM, I just want one that comes with either a spacer or fits right in.

Also, are there minimum stats on Cold Cranking Amps and overall capacity that I should be looking at?

+1
    Your problem is not your battery..Well, yes, the battery is weak becasue it is old but the problem is your charging system...

How manys AMPS does the amp need to run properly????

Im really not sure. I dont think I am having problems with the charging system, because if the amp quits, I can shut it off and run the ski for 10-20 minutes, I can turn it on and get another 5 minutes before it shuts off. The amp is a JBL MA6002 amp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information