• no

13 54.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: helmets

Banned User
    +1

helmets

for the people with modified skis do you wear a helmet? if so what speeds are you reaching?

+1
    Never worn one while skiing. But was considering getting one for wave jumping.

+1
    I have not worn one in the past .... however, now that I am pushing 70+ GPS I desided when doing speed runs I will start ... went out and bought a "Snell" approved helmet to match the ski colors ... and of course I needed for the up coming race season

+1
    I do not, but I dont do any races where I have to worry about someone crashing into me. I do wavejump quite a bit on the ocean, and sometimes if you land weird your head and snap forward and hit the handle bars, so I do see the benefit of a helmet (one with the full chin) in that situation.

Also consider that if you were going at 70mph with a helmet and fell off, the helmet is going to cause a lot of excessive drag on your head and potentially snap it in all sorts of directions.

The fastest I have fell off my FZR is right around 50mph, and the outcome has a lot to do with luck and how you hit the water. Personally, I dont think I will ever wear a helmet jetskiing, unless I was in a race.

I've seen the helmets that the K38 team wears and if I did have to wear a helmet that style would be my choice because they are not bulky and wouldnt cause too much drag in the water if you fell.

Banned User
    +1
    I'm thinking the same way a little. The drag it will produce as well as filling with water may not keep head above water.

+1
    I voted yes because there was no choice for "sometimes". Considering what happened to SHOdude last year, I'm might start wearing one along with a neck brace for the river riding we do. I wear one most of the time for riding my stand-up, especially if I'm on the lake by myself. If you're not planning to use it for racing you don't need a DOT approved helmet. I use a Bell Sanction "feeride" helmet when riding my SJ that weighs only 2 lbs wet & drains really fast. I ordered it from Blowsion for a little over $100.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I do not, but I dont do any races where I have to worry about someone crashing into me. I do wavejump quite a bit on the ocean, and sometimes if you land weird your head and snap forward and hit the handle bars, so I do see the benefit of a helmet (one with the full chin) in that situation.

Also consider that if you were going at 70mph with a helmet and fell off, the helmet is going to cause a lot of excessive drag on your head and potentially snap it in all sorts of directions.

The fastest I have fell off my FZR is right around 50mph, and the outcome has a lot to do with luck and how you hit the water. Personally, I dont think I will ever wear a helmet jetskiing, unless I was in a race.

I've seen the helmets that the K38 team wears and if I did have to wear a helmet that style would be my choice because they are not bulky and wouldnt cause too much drag in the water if you fell.

I have been ejected at 70+ I wear a neck brace and was glad to have the helmet and brace. My RXT is a 80+ ski and I would not ride it wide open for any period of time without it. All you have to do is eat the handle bars once to become a believer.

+1
    I wear a helmet with goggles and neckbrace during any speedruns along with a 100mph vest. The neckbrace fastens to my helmet to help take some of the force from the helmet filling with water if you hit it feet first. Rec riding i just wear a regular neoprene vest and bomber floating glasses.

Banned User
    +1
    So any of you guys wear mx helmets that wear helmets

+1
    I only wear a helmet in the ocean wave jumping. Wouldn't want to knock my self out there. It a MX helmet with a removable liner. Its nice to wash the salt water out of it. I don't ride the ocean as much as I like too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information