looking to buy a four seater Yamaha SUV. anything I should be on the look out for?

I have been looking for a four seater to use on lake saint claire here in Detroit. Specificly a Yamaha SUV. but man are they hard to find. I maybe looking at three seaters if I dont find one soon.

My question is there anything I should be paying attention to. I know how to do a compression test. But the lakes are iced over and I would not be able to do a water test.

Should I not buy a ski if I cant water test it?

Jeff

+1
    I wouldn't put good money down for a ski I couldn't test ride.

+1
    Look at my post over on the Seadoo thread that you posted there, for one Yamaha is way more reliable then any seadoo and that is a FACT, all yamaha 2 strokes out live SEAdoo by a large margin if maintained You can expect to get 250 hours out of a Yamaha 2 Stroke vs. 150 Seadoo, if you can find one with low hours and compression validates those hours as I stated befor and nothing has been done to the motor at a good price do all the checks as stated on other thread, you should be fine, but go over the ski with a fine detail, depends on what ski as well lots of models there are things that have to be addressed and if they are not that means the ski has not been properly maintained = walk

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by caliburn View Post
    Look at my post over on the Seadoo thread that you posted there, for one Yamaha is way more reliable then any seadoo and that is a FACT, all yamaha 2 strokes out live SEAdoo by a large margin if maintained You can expect to get 250 hours out of a Yamaha 2 Stroke vs. 150 Seadoo, if you can find one with low hours and compression validates those hours as I stated befor and nothing has been done to the motor at a good price do all the checks as stated on other thread, you should be fine, but go over the ski with a fine detail, depends on what ski as well lots of models there are things that have to be addressed and if they are not that means the ski has not been properly maintained = walk
    They're comparable if you take aside the subjectivity, with no real standout.

Fact eh? My GTX has 180 hours, and runs as good as new. Hits all the rpms, hits the 52 mph top speed, starts up immediately, etc. So are most that I've seen.

My buddy's gsx has 200 hours and is in the same boat no pun intended).

My friends with Yamaha 2 strokes haven't made it past 180 hours

But hey, those aren't facts, right?

+1
    Well good for you, I deal in jet skis, and parts, not trying to dis the Seadoos , yes they can get up around 200 hours, Most of the time they had a top end on them done to make it that far if they were smart to do one around 150 hours, most Yamahas dont need a new top end till around 250 hours +, and shall we do a tally what motors blow up the most Yamaha or Seadoo dont even tell me there the same numbers not by a long shot and we are talking two strokes, so when you bring up 2 skis lets look at the bigger picture shall we, not to mention if a seadoo blows up vs a yamaha the resale value is always worth more with a yamaha, next thing you know you will be telling me Seadoo is more reliable then Honda

+1
    Big, slow, stable ski.
    Check it out all you want on land, even on the hose, but you'll never truly know if it's ok until you get it under load.
    If you can get a smokin' deal, meaning $1000 less than "book" so you can buy a rebuilt motor if need be, then go over it best you can on land and buy it. If not, pass until you can get it on the water.

Thanks for the insight guys.

Thread Information