2006 15f, no spark, code cra9

I just bought a 2006 15f, 60 hours. there is no spark and the computer is throwing dealer code "CRA9". I looked it up and that is a crank shaft position sensor fault. I didn't have much time to check it out, but has anyone else had this problem? I'm looking for the service manual before I start trying to diagnose anything, but if anyone has had this similar problem I'd like to hear about it. I traced the wires from the sensor to the wiring harness, no obvious problems.

Thanks

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    If the sensor is bad (for whatever reason) it must be replaced. However, it is easy to do, 4 8mm bolts at the front of the engine and the cover comes off, then its 2 phillips head screws and the sensor comes out.

You can check the sensor with a multimeter to verify if the sensor is faulty by checking the resistance across the 2 leads, it should be between 408 and 612 ohms.

Sean

3. +1 by:

Hey People, need some advice. I finally found some time to dig into a 2006 15f that I bought awhile back. it was throwing the cRA9 code for a crankshaft posistion sensor, and I wasn't getting any spark. This weekend I ordered a new sensor, and also did a compression check to make sure everything was work. After pulling the plug out of cylinder 8 i noticed a chuck was missing from the spark plug seating area. Any comments on this? i'm tempted just to put it back together and hope for the best, any reason I shouldn't?

Here is the best picture I could take, hopefully this link works: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-T...0/IMG_6062.JPG

+1
    The plug broke off in the head, you need to get that out. It's part of the problem, but not necessarily the whole problem. Check the link in my signature to find the spark plug information.

Sean

Hey smokey, the plugs came right out, I found the chucking missing out of the head (spark plug seating area) when I was doing the precautionary compression check. The real problem on this ski is "no spark", with the computer throwing a crank case position sensor code. I've ordered a new sensor, should be in tomorrow. hopefully it starts after that. This missing chunk could of been there for years, or could of just happened when i took the plug out. I'm mostly concerned with "what happened to that missing piece". worst case scenario its sitting down inside the cylinder. Do you (or anyone) have any suggestions on how to make sure that piece isn't in the cylinder?

+1
    Ohhh, my mistake, it looks very similar to how the cylinder looks when the plug breaks in the head, I had to really look at it to see what you meant. Did the compression check okay in that cylinder? If so then you might be okay, did the cylinder show signs of bleed through into the coil hole? If you are really worried about the plug sealing put a helicoil or timesert into the hole, that should give you more area.

You could try and get a borescope to check the cylinder or get a vacuum and try and suck it out, if you think it's in there. If it is in the cylinder don't run it. Otherwise you need to pull the head.

If your sensor is bad, I'd be interested in it, the connectors are difficult to get in the US, send me a pm if that is the case.

Sean

Quick update: Replaced the Crankshaft position sensor this weekend, the computer is no longer throwing the CRA9 code and I now have good spark. Next problem: NO FUEL!. Turns out some Ahole that had this before me knew the fuel pump was bad. Power to the fuel pump was disconnected, and all of the hose clamps on top of the fuel take were pushed back. We removed the pump assembly and jumpered 12 v on the pump lead and the pump is definately bad. I'm no shoppping around for a new pump. Found a few cheap replacements on line, the local dealer want $583 including taxes. NO F'ing WAY, its just a fuel pump. just was quick test we poured a small amount of fule down through the spark plug holes into the cylinder, replaced the plugs and she fired right up for a second. Once we get a new fuel pump installed I think it will run good.

FYI: Rented a camera to look down inside the cylinder, no sign of metal chunk in cylinder 3. Also, crankshaft position sensor plugs from my local kawi dealer matched up perfectly. the sensor was definitely bad, had good spark right after replacing sensor, I checked all plugs for corrosion, the all looked good. Total cost of sensor from dealer was $108 including taxes. Also, the manual say to remove the engine to replace this sensor, that is not necessary. if you take out the spark plug wires and have skinny arms it's easy to reach down to the front of the engine and make the necessary repairs. be sure to have blue loc tite and some gasket maker on hand, both can be picked up from your local auto parts store. PM if you have any questions.

SEAN, thanks again for your help, I'm close to having a 2006 15f in good working order for about $1500. (bought if from an auto pawn with a "blown motor". actuall issures were crank shaft position sensosr and a bad fuel pump)

+1
    There are a few fuel pumps you can get, the one I use is a walbro gs342 from a Subaru. Get the install kit with is so you get the fuel sock as well. In addition you NEED to use high pressure submersible fuel hose in the tank. There was another option posted in the tech tips section recently. The walbro is roughly $100. In addition some soldering is required as the connectors are slightly different. Make sure to use good sealed connectors. I used the crimps with the insulation on them plus 2 layers of heat shrink. Then just be sure to secure it.

Check the fuel pressure when you finish the install.

I'm happy to help, I know how frustrating it can be to have such a fun machine in the garage and not on the water.my project is going on 4 years.

Sean

Thread Information