2002 Virage TX charging issue

I have a 2002 Virage TX 1200 domestic that I had a problem with a while back. The stator plate had broke next to one of the mounting holes, which I had repaired, and everything was fine for about a year and a half.

I was running it one day and noticed that it suddenly was not charging. After getting into it, the Stator plate had broken again so I replaced it with a new one. Still was not charging. The stator is testing fine according to the procedure in the service manual that I have. The test for the AC voltage is a little confusing, but I think that it is producing the correct AC voltage, and all the resistance tests were good.

I then concluded that it was the LR505 module, so I have replaced that. Still not charging. I have checked and rung out all the wiring that I can, and can't find anything wrong. The most I get out of it is 12.4 - 12.9 VDC at 3 to 4000 RPM. It does go up as the RPMs go up, but no where near the 14 - 14.5 @ 3000 that the book says it should be.

The engine runs fine, so I am assuming that the CDI and the ignition coil are operating normally. The battery is a fairly new, top of the line Interstate marine battery and seems to be fine also.

I rebuilt the engine in early 2012, and while I had it out, I cleaned every electrical connection on the engine.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

+1
    where any wires spliced? Traces the wires if so to make sure they did not break

So far all the wiring seems fine. There are no splices in any of the circuits.

+1
    Im sure someone else will chime in and help ya out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Was the replacement LR module new or used?

Which part number?

The charging system is fairly simple, not many parts involved.
    Stator charging coil
    Flywheel magnets
    Stator coil connection to battery positive (Red/Purple), and to LR module Yellow
    LR module itself
    LR module connection to ground and to Red/Purple

AC current from the stator battery charging coil goes through the LR module to ground. Inside the LR module is a rectifier and voltage regulator. The other end of the charging coil feeds the rectified AC into the battery via the Red/Purple wire. It may seem odd, but that is how it works.

The regulator effectively rectifies the GROUND connection of the charging coil, causing the other end of the charging coil to produce DC charging voltage into the battery.

The LR module is new. The part number is 4010648 and it is the LR505 for the 1 S/S button.

The stator charging coil is reading 0.1 ohms across the Yellow - Red/Purple, and all the grounds and Red/Purple wiring continuity to the battery is OK.

The flywheel magnet was slightly damaged when the stator plate broke the first time. It has a 1/8" deep x 1 1/2" long gouge in it where it hit one of the stator coils. It had been charging for more than a year after that so I don't believe that it is the problem. It also runs fine so the other coils for ignition must be functioning.

Thanks for the help

Thread Information