Thread: 4 Tec Starters

+1

Question 4 Tec Starters

I have searched the forum and i cannot find very much info on starters.

What is the official word on starters for these 4 strokes? Are the SBT ones junk like the 2 stroke starters they offer? rebuild kits? who sells them?

Are a lot of them going bad? People going through them like the 2 stroke engines did?

The reason i ask is my 04 RXP turns over slow. I had the battery load tested, checked good, picked up a new one just in case, still starts slow on either of 2 confirmed good batteries. No clicking, turns over first time every time. Cables are clean, ground is clean. It just sounds like it turns over slowly... Any advice would be appreciated.

+1
    the starter relay is a more likely source of your problem-- just like the 2 stroke seadoos-- very common problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    the starter relay is a more likely source of your problem-- just like the 2 stroke seadoos-- very common problem.
    I was under the impression that if the relay was failing it would click click click then start... mine turns over (slowly) first try every time, no exceptions... but i'll try a relay tonight. I just looked it up and it's the same PN as the old 2 stroke ones. I had enough of them go bad on the 2 stroke boats that i stocked them in my toolbox, but they always clicked first...

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    they don't fail often but like anything they do sometimes, as long as oil hasn't got in there a brush kit from seadoo is the way to go. I have had one that was on its side with most of the oil out while getting glass repairs and the starter ended up full of oil.
    there can be resistance within the starter relay but more common they just click etc when failing. bridge the posts manually and see how it turns over
    Has it always cranked slow or just started going like this as many people over the years have commented on the slow sounding crank speed on the 4 tec's

Thread Information