Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Ski for me!!

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum looks good here. Anyways I just picked up a GP760 I believe its a 1997 (yellow and white) but the DNR card show it as 1998. It runs good I noticed the hours on the gauge only shows 40 hours which I thought was strange for the year of the ski. But engine and body look great if not excellent in most areas.
    The only issue I have is I have 1 inch hole in the bottom of the haul as if a piece of rod punched through. I need to brush up on how to fix this? any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Other then that does anyone know if there a good machine or not? Engine wise, handling wise or just general comments? I have heard good things about them and overall Yamaha is known for there rock solid reliability.

I also need to find another one for my wife should I go with an GP800 or stick with the 760? Reliablity is my key buying decision but I don't want to break the bank either (no 4 stroke for me to pricey)

I'm basically hanging up my dirtbike boots I always like PWC's so its time to move into something new. (pretty excited for summer)

Thanks guys!
    KC

+1
    They are good ski's. The 97 & 98 760's were both yellow and white. The graphics are the only way to tell them apart. I can't offer any advice to fix the hole underneath other than taking it to a shop the is familiar with SMC repair, or maybe use Marine-Tex. Handling wise they are known for porpoising, look into some aftermarket trim tabs to fix that. The 760's and 1200's are more reliable than the 800.

Interesting I'll keep an eye out for another GP760 then thanks, I also have this trim thing that I guess allows the ski to pitch up or down. I wonder if that will help with curing the porpoising only time will tell! thanks

+1
    They come standard with adjustable trim. Trim tabs are fixed to the hull on either side of the ride plate. Aftermarket tabs were made to replace the stock plastic tabs that broke off. Your year model will determine which aftermarket tabs you need.

+1
    Keep your eye out for a 97-99 GP1200 too. Its an identical hull to your GP760 but with a 3 cylinder engine and a bigger jetpump. They are fun machines! Keep the 1200 for you and the 760 for her...kinda like a Papa bear and mama bear pair of skis, lol.

Cool you read my mind I was thinking and wondering I assume here the GP1200 is a 2stroker 3 banger?

Banned User
    +1
    Use epoxy resin and glass mat to repair the hole. You MUST use epoxy if the hull is SMC. Polyester will not stick, and the repair will fall out. Just grind out the damage and fill in with the glass mat and resin. Sand it smooth and flush and you can touch up the paint in the area or just leave it if you dont care how it looks.

+1
    Porpoising on my old GP760 was terrible. Found an out-of-production ride plate here on the Hulk that helped tremendously. Don't remember the brand now.
    Mine was a very hard to start cold. Unless you install a primer kit you'll need to keep a dropper handy. Pull out a couple plugs, add a few drops of fuel into the cylinder(s) and she'll fire up. Three times max should keep you running.
    Fun little ski to throw around and build your confidence. You'll be hankering for a 1200 before long.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by swamper View Post
    Cool you read my mind I was thinking and wondering I assume here the GP1200 is a 2stroker 3 banger?
    Yep. 2 stroke, 3 cylinders...135 horsepower.

Are all years good to go for this GP1200 it looks like she would go!! I like your thinking Cutlass!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information