Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Ficht fuel Injector - Rusty Discharge??

I noticed this has started happening the last couple of rides. It looks like a rusty fluid, coming from the outside jacket of the injector on my MSX.

I haven't found anything of note on the site, wondering if anyone has had this problem at all?

I'm planning to replace this injector in any case, it doesn't seem to affect performance at all but it does create an unsightly mess. You can see a small amount of the rust/dirt substance on the head cover as well.

I will pull the injector to ensure there is none of this coming through the tip, anyone seen this???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	injector2.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	294112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	injector3.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	294113  
    Last edited by K447; 07-30-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Are you sure thats not from water possibly leaking out of the head around one of the bolts? Looks almost like sand

+1
    Aftermarket seat cover?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Hmmm, that might be from the injector tip not fully seating/sealing against the bore seat in the head. Combustion byproducts can seep out if the injector tip is not seated 101%. The seal is a precision metal to metal fit.

I have seen this stuff look brown or blackish, which might vary depending on the gasoline and oil brands used. Then you have the water/moisture that is normal around these engines, and you get a weird goo down in the pocket between injector tip and cylinder head.

I suggest you clean it all up really well, inspect for flaws in the metal mating faces, then reinsert the injector and torque it down while slightly rotated from previously and slightly higher mounting bolt torque. Make sure the injector shaft is not binding against the sides of the bore.

Could also be something dripping down from the seat, I suppose

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Hmmm, that might be from the injector tip not fully seating/sealing against the bore seat in the head. Combustion byproducts can seep out if the injector tip is not seated 101%. The seal is a precision metal to metal fit.

I have seen this stuff look brown or blackish, which might vary depending on the gasoline and oil brands used. Then you have the water/moisture that is normal around these engines, and you get a weird goo down in the pocket between injector tip and cylinder head.

I suggest you clean it all up really well, inspect for flaws in the metal mating faces, then reinsert the injector and torque it down while slightly rotated from previously and slightly higher mounting bolt torque. Make sure the injector shaft is not binding against the sides of the bore.

Could also be something dripping down from the seat, I suppose
    I will pull it up and take another look. I should have mentioned this injector has always been on the "rusty" side since day 1. Definately not coming up from the head but the water is a good theory. I didn't mention when I did my traditional WD-40 spray after a ride, I sprayed a fair bit using the long nozzle right into that outside jacket and it makes the brown stuff goo out....the seat theory may have some merit, the last few rides have been quite wet in rough conditions.

+1
    So I took out the injector today to inspect. As you can see from the pics, the injector is suffering from corrosion around the body which is reacting on the aluminium head. I sprayed it with some wd-40 and observed the rusty sediment coming out of the injector body, there is a tiny bit of carbon on the projection tip which is normal. This got me to thinking if the corrosion is seeping out during a ride then the fluid must be fuel. So I decided to go a little further and realized that these ficht injectors look somewhat serviceable on the internals. The last pic you will see I have pulled an injector apart - this is not my original injector this is a spare I picked up on ebay ages ago, I have a few to toy with so no big deal. The injector comes off very easily it is threaded to the outer body. Inside there are 4 o-rings, which leads me to believe my injector more than likely has a failing o-ring nearest to the head which is allowing the corroded fluid out. This also got me thinking. Is it possible that the flow map is delivered through the electronics on the outer case, thereby making it possible to change an injector internal to an existing body already mapped to the emm

Not sure where I go from here but I'm considering unscrewing my injector, cleaning up the corroded thread and changing the o-rings. Has anyone gone to these depths before????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	294497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	294496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (1).jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	294498  

+1
    You can pull the injector tip out also if you gently pull & twist on it. there is a filter screen on the inlet side to clean too.
    My 02' Virage TXI drove me nuts until I found that screen clogged with crap. May cause back pressure? force leak?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by urugol View Post
    Is it possible that the flow map is delivered through the electronics on the outer case, thereby making it possible to change an injector internal to an existing body already mapped to the emm

I was thinking the same thing when I learned that you could dissasemble them. Problem is that half of the manufacturing differences the programming is trying to compensate for are in the internals. Swapping parts would cause the injector to have a different mapping from the origional or donor.
    Last edited by K447; 03-10-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Banned User
    +1
    Im pretty sure DFI can service injectors and give you new flow mapping info

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Im pretty sure DFI can service injectors and give you new flow mapping info
    When I sent my emm to dfi they told me not to ship the injectors. They said there wasn't anything they could do for them. Maybe that has changed? I would definitely call first.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information