+1

Anyone do any kayak fishing? Looking for some opinions.

Just curious if anyone partakes in the sport, Im looking to get into it. I would mostly ride in a bay, on flat or near flat conditions and work my way into possibly rougher more sketchy conditions in the future lol. Im torn between 4 models, each has +'s and -'s. Im looking at:

Feel Free Moken 12.5
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13T
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135
    Native Manta Ray 12

Kind leaning more towards the OK Trident 13T because of then deep center console, fishfinder cover/nook, battery bag, and other minor features.

+1
    Never done it, but it's gotten very popular in the SoLA marshes. Even have a couple of very large fishing tournaments each year. I don't know any details but you might try to Google "kayak fishing in Louisiana". Has to be a forum or group out there somewhere...

+1
    Yea ive googled it, most people seem to recommend the ride or the trident. I go fishing with my father down in cape charles, and there are anywhere from 5-25 people out there fishing on them. I was looking to seem if anyone on here had an experience with them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sfackett0 View Post
    Yea ive googled it, most people seem to recommend the ride or the trident. I go fishing with my father down in cape charles, and there are anywhere from 5-25 people out there fishing on them. I was looking to seem if anyone on here had an experience with them.
    I'll bet that can be as heated a debate as asking should I go Kawi, Yammi, or SD? That's nothing but trouble, lol. Best of luck w/your purchase and set-up.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Check this Forum out, www.Fishingtn.com .....its one another one I belong to, theres a guy on there his name is Jeremy and his screen name is MidTNKayakAngler.......Im sure he could help you out......

+1
    It's getting pretty popular in Jersey. My house on the water is right next to a tackle shop that is a kayak fishing outfitter so I see them everyday. They have more options and things then you can imagine. I would definitely try to find a local outfitter near you were you can ride a demo. These things are pretty expensive and it would suck to get stuck with something you don't end up liking.

As for getting in to the sketchy stuff, At the tackle shop/marina next door they have a guy who hops a ride to reefs offshore on boat there and will fish on the reef all day in his kayak before he catches a ride with them when they head back.

Here is a link to place, they are pretty known around SJ for it.
    http://sterlingharbor.com/kayaks.htm

+1
    My brother is into it big style he has and swears by the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13' fishes in all weathers all over the south of the uk, said its an awesome bit of kit. So much so he wanted to hire one when he came to visit me in oz.

+1
    awesome ill checkout that site. lol thats crazy getting a ride offshore like that, i met a few people down Cape Charles who fished the ocean side in the oyster beds and wer catching 4-5' sharks..... lol that would be interesting. Luckily theres no sharks ..... well for the most part, here in the upper Chesapeake. Yea it seems that kayak fishing is really big in NJ, VA, and NC, but absent here in MD.

+1
    How 'bout something like this...

+1
    My buddy is a big kayak fisher here on Cape Cod. It's very fun, I have done it a few times. He has a Hobie kayak and it has paddles on the bottom, so you its kinda like a paddle boat. All you need is a GPS setup, VHF radio, rod holders, etc and you are good to go!

Thread Information