Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New drive shaft in 2005 RXP too long? Need help asap.

When setting engine alignment should the drive shaft have pressure pushing forward on the crankshaft. The only way I can relieve the preload is to slide the engine its full travel forward and with it that far up it losses preload on the carbon ring. I put this drive shaft in last summer. Its a WSM aftermarket part. I think it may be longer than the original. I also found two broken engine mounts today (right rear and front). They were all new when the shaft was installed. I think if I leave this pressure between the jet pump and crankshaft it will wipe out my pump bearing as well as my crankshaft thrust bearing.
    I could not find any specs to set the drive shaft clearance (freeplay). I could simply remove the rubber damper for more space or grind 1/16" off the rear of the shaft (or both)
    Any advise would be much appreciated.

+1
    Lets gets some info here alignment tool mounts in loose

+1
    Has the cage fallen off inside PTO coupler?

No there is no blockage inside the pto coupler. Yes alignment tool was used to align the engine. This problem was found after removing the tool and installing the jet pump. It wouldn't go in the last 1/2". I tightened the pump bolts to draw it in gently and found that I was pushing the engine forward and stressing the mounts.
    At that time I loosed all 9 engine mount bolts and the engine slid forward eliminating all the preload the drive shaft has presented. All would be ok leaving the engine all the way forward but the carbon ring is now .020" away from the support ring. So the bottom line is the drive shaft must be too long. This also explain's the fast engine mount failure since the shaft was first installed about 4 hours of run time ago. I am guessing the drive shaft should have zero end play but no pressure.

I see someone else found an issue with an aftermarket shaft. Seems the C clip position was wrong for his. Not the same issue as me but it does point fingers to manufacture quality control.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...rive+shaft+sbt

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    let me mention that driveshafts are an issue as there is a bastard child among them.

I thought it was a 2003 model but it.s worth mention in the event the pump/shaft on that ski isn.t original. The first pumps had a longer shaft, so to replace the pump, the shaft had to be replaced as well. Might have been shorter, but there are 2 different length shafts. All I know is that without the help of [email protected], I would have been badly screwed. The early pumps are discontinued

i.d see if there is a readable part number on the pump, then check the shaft for it.the wsm book has detailed measurements on the driveshafts vs. Oem part number

good luck on that, i.ll be back

this is the kind of thing that can really ruin your day

Btw what is the cage you are referring to? There is nothing in there but I dont recall any cage either.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    let me mention that driveshafts are an issue as there is a bastard child among them.

I thought it was a 2003 model but it.s worth mention in the event the pump/shaft on that ski isn.t original. The first pumps had a longer shaft, so to replace the pump, the shaft had to be replaced as well. Might have been shorter, but there are 2 different length shafts. All I know is that without the help of [email protected], I would have been badly screwed. The early pumps are discontinued

i.d see if there is a readable part number on the pump, then check the shaft for it.the wsm book has detailed measurements on the driveshafts vs. Oem part number

good luck on that, i.ll be back

this is the kind of thing that can really ruin your day

worthwhile to look
    I am assuming you ran in to this with GTX? Seadoo used plasyic pumps on nearly all 03 GTX models and right at the end of 2003 production they introduced the aluminum housing which was carried in to 2004.
    In my situation the 2005 RXP pumps are all the same.

Where are you Shrabber? I updated the info you asked for.

I am going to head up to bed. I will tackle the issue again tomorrow morning. Has anyone ever removed material from the pump side of a drive shaft before? I think I can get away with 1/4" without touching splines. Or is it better to just leave out the rubber dampers. I would assume the front one is more important than the rear but can both be removed? If I can wake up to some answers that would be sweet. Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information