Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1

Fabricating pump shoe hull brackets

I had two inserts on one side of my pump shoe spin on me when removing them earlier to do winter maintenance. I have the original urethane glue and the bad inserts removed on one side, and preparing to put back together.

Questions:

- I've got some aluminum bar stock, 3/8 thick by 1 1/2 inch wide, was going to cut and drill/tap my own in-hull brackets. For extra measure, once I glue them in and have the bolts threaded in I was thinking of adding some SS fender washers and a nut on top (inside). Does this seem adequate to hold the pump shoe, or should I just buy and install the expensive aftermarket brackets (that seem to be exactly what I'm describing)?

- Thinking about going ahead and replacing the other side of the pump shoe inserts with a bracket as well. Good idea to do both sides,or quit anal-izing and just replace the bad side only?

-While I'm in there, thinking about doing a bracket on the front screws of the intake grate as well. Worth doing or leave well enough alone?

- Thinking of using 3m 5200 to glue the brackets down inside the hull, and 4200 for the external parts like the shoe and rideplate (4200 less permanent for later removal). Does my selection of adhesives seem right?

- Any other thoughts?

+1
    I use 5200 on pump shoe also. Biotch to remove but added holding power. Make sure you seal it up well and put in a ppk while apart if you don't already have it- or fill voids yourself. There are alot of different product you can fill the voids with- I use 5200 or 4240. I believe I would want bar stock 1/2" thick to have plenty of threads- but if you are using a ss nut on top that should hold the load. Go ahead and do both side while your at it. Also do the intake grate- common issue them pulling stock inserts out of hull. Drill front grate holes and install 8mm bolts on front also. You should have no issues using the same bar stock and nuts to do the grate- i

+1
    Thanks for the tips - I do have the PPK to put in when I reinstall the pump shoe. Also, I got to thinking and went and remeasured the barstock I have, its actually 1/2" stuff

Just not sure on the 5200 on the pumpshoe and plate - just seems like it would be a major deal to get them back off....

+1
    Just on the shoe. Don't use anything on the ride plate 4200 on grate

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porschemaniac View Post
    Just on the shoe. Don't use anything on the ride plate 4200 on grate
    Yeah I wasn't thinking right there, I should know better. I do plan on using some good silicone on all the gaps around the plate/shoe at least.

+1
    I wouldnt put anything on or around the ride plate... some seal the grate with silicone, but I put nothing on mine

Its a good idea to check the grate for cracks periodically and its makes it a bitch to remove if its glued in

+1
    I am sure you have thought of it, but don't forget to grind the old hex bosses down smooth so the plates can fit flat. I also threaded my plates, but also used a standard SS washer and a locking SS nut for good measure on the top side of plate.

Might as well do both sides, and since you have the stuff, make a plate for the front grate mount too. Upsize the front grate bolts to 8 mm, as some have broken the small 6mm at speed. I personally think that is what has cracked some grates, the front bolts stretching or breaking, allowing the front of the grate to pull down at speed and stressing it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    I am sure you have thought of it, but don't forget to grind the old hex bosses down smooth so the plates can fit flat. I also threaded my plates, but also used a standard SS washer and a locking SS nut for good measure on the top side of plate.

Might as well do both sides, and since you have the stuff, make a plate for the front grate mount too. Upsize the front grate bolts to 8 mm, as some have broken the small 6mm at speed. I personally think that is what has cracked some grates, the front bolts stretching or breaking, allowing the front of the grate to pull down at speed and stressing it.
    Sounds like we have the same logic on using the extra nut/washer on the plate inside. I havent gotten back into the inside hull since I took the rideplate, grate and shoe off a couple weeks ago, but I'll for sure check to make sure the plates sit nice and flat for the gluedown. Thanks

Thread Information