Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Supercharger rebuild or replace new?

I'm a newbee been following for a year now. Just registered, read all about sc and the problems. Have a 03 gtxsc with 200hrs had the sc taken out and shop said it and washers looked ok. Ran it all summer last year however to protect motor do I do a rebuild with jerry or a new one online with jerry. Local dealer says new is only way to go because bearings not washers. Are the bearings replaced under a normal rebuild kit?
    Thanks in advance.

Go the rebuild, bearings are definitely included in the rebuild

+1
    Jerry just rebuilt mine..
    looks like he replaced everything except the impeller! LOL!

I couldn't be happier with the work he did. you should definetly have him rebuild yours, you won't be disappointed!

+1
    Plus 1,000 no one is better anyone can bake a cake but my moms cake is the best

+1
    The rebuild kit uses only the front, back houseings and the impeller, Everything is replaced other than those parts. Once said and done its about $400 for a rebuild and a new SCer is around $700, so you save around $300 bucks.
    Heres the kicker. If Jerry rebuilds it I say have it rebuilt, BUT
    If you have some shop rebuild it... Well I can tell you they are finicky and if not done correctly its gonna fail real quick, so I Would just go new if you do not know how good your mechanic is or sure of his skills. The savings would bite you in the ass if he is not confident in the rebuild..

So what Im saying is have Jerry do it. OR Buy it new.

+1
    go with jerry and rebuild every 100hrs after this it's not the clutches that fail now it's the bearings

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    +1 go with Jerry, he likely does more S/C rebuilds then any single tech at any seadoo shop. That's why I use him. I don't get that much supercharger repair work to warrant buying all the tools then learning as I go, as mistakes often have a high price tag
    The _only_ downside is that you have to remove and replace the s/c yourself

Go with the full kit, that's everything except the impeller wheel

to remove the charger you should without doubt purchase the special tool ( part # 529 035 938 ) sold to remove the rear facing bolt. While you may have read it can be removed with a 1/4 box wrench, you can be in a world of hurt when something goes wrong and on an 03, the chances of something going wrong are pretty good.

The full charger kit includes the large otiker clamp that attaches the intake hose to the charger, you need some otkier pliers to correctly install that. Some guys go with a hose clamp, personally, I'm not real keen on that.

It might be a chore for you if you don't do a whole lot of wrenching, as in some cases the j-pipe has to come off and the hoses and all can be a bear. Wear gloves and pay careful attention to what your doing and have plenty of light in the hull while working.

With some luck, it won't be too bad..without luck you may have to remove lots of stuff to get some clearance to get the charger out. I'm sure you found the excellent how to pdf on charger removal, if not do a search for it.

good luck!

+1
    Follow the "how to" post on supercharger removal..
    I had mine out in less than 20mins.... and had it re-installed in about 10mins.
    that reversed bolt is the only thing that took some time because it's slow going with a wrench... I also ordered 3 new bolts for the supercharger.

+1
    Wow. Awesome replies. I'm going to take it out and send it to jerry. Thanks to all of you for your replies so quickly.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GamiGTX View Post
    Wow. Awesome replies. I'm going to take it out and send it to jerry. Thanks to all of you for your replies so quickly.

Hey, someone from my neck of the woods

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information