1100 zxi backfires

hello my 1100 zxi 1996 backfires when hot could you please help troubleshoot. i am very green and would appreciate your input

+1
    Welcome aboard, Bern!

Backfiring from the carbs? I would look for broken reed petals.

Have you done a compression test? I bought a 750 that wouldn't run and would backfire while cranking. Compression was virtually non-existent. Ran fine after a top overhaul. My conclusion was that the flame from the combustion chamber was going past the rings into the crankcase (and carbs).

Thanks steve45
    I have not ran compression check yet. The plastic ducks that are on the carb has corroded and i have got most of the pieces out of the carb bore I am thinking that one or more pieces have broken the reeds or cracked them. could that be the cause of the backfire and is there any other causes like bad gas or oil or fuel filter? Thanks again

+1
    I don't think gas/oil would cause backfiring.

Hello Steve45
    I appreciate your input and thank you again. Is there a better performance upon replacing the reeds- petals if they are not good. Also I wanted to ask you if there is a better then oem or get your input of replacement. I have R&D grate everthing else is stock on the ski except for R&D ultra -light power plenum I purchase and would like to use but do not understand about rejetting of external high and low and the required process. I am assuming the reeds are bad but I can not tell you at this point in time. If you could give me your input that would be super great. thanks again

+1
    The aftermarket reed manufacturers will tell you about performance gains, but I doubt you'll see difference. I've heard that the stock reeds are best on the Ultra 150, but don't know about the 1100 engine.

I don't know anything about the R&D flame arrestors, but I think flame arrestor mods are often overrated, too.

Thread Information