Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP: zxi 1100 and 900 stx low speed bogging issue

Hey, just bought a 2000 Zxi 1100, ran pretty good when we bought it, but now you have to feather the throttle every time out of the hole.. Once you get up to speed it will run good (55mph) until you let off. The carbs are clean, new fuel filter, gas lines are all good. Idles perfect. i premix with 50:1 2 stroke marine oil. It has a Tony Douckas Racing exhaust on it aswell. What I've read is it needs a #50-#60 low speed jet. Has anyone else had this problem?

The 1998 stx 900 has the same issue but worse. It has the bogging issue a lot worse, and it will only hit 40-45. The jets are stock in it right now. If you play with the throttle it will basically "kick in" and take off full throttle.

Please help! I just bought these and they are giving me a lot of trouble! So far, I have cleaned all the carbs, needles, Jets. New filters, fresh gas, ect.. Thanks

+1
    I cant say i know much about the zxi but my dad had a 1998, and I do recall it having similar problems after a dealer installed a new top end. it never ran the same again and you couldn't even take your finger off the throttle for a second without it stalling. After over $2000 into repairs he sold it.

Wish I could help more

Banned User
    +1
    What carbs are on it?

+1
    a couple of quick checks.........Compession? you might be running on only two cylinders, often described as a boggy engine. Those year models are likely constant velocity carbs. Pull off the air box and make sure the carb slides open up all the way when the engine is reved up. Also early cv carbs had a factory recall on the fuel pump, check with your dealer.....steve

Compression is all equal across. They are CV carbs. They all spray evenly.

From what I've read it needs bigger jets?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by grahams View Post
    Compression is all equal across. They are CV carbs. They all spray evenly.

From what I've read it needs bigger jets?
    The 1100 has CVs, the 900 doesn't.

Perhaps, with the exhaust mod, you may need to change the jets. With a stock setup, you shouldn't have to.

Are you running a stock flame arrestor?

Yeah stock flame arrestors. and the 900 is all stock, and it does it worse.

+1
    Time to take it to a dealer, some one who understands cv carbs. In your first post you say you've cleaned the jets and needles.....well the Cv carb high and low speed needles are set at the factory and then capped- non adjustable unless you drill the caps off. Kawasaki had a tech bulletin on how to remove them and richen up the mixture. It also gives base line settings to eliminate bogg. I've also seen the diaphragm needles washer-ed up to increase throttle response. You only mention "spray" and no mention of whether the cv slides are functioning. CV carbs have no accelerator pump , hence no "spray" when you work the throttle {also whey they are hard to start when cold} My Guess is It will be hard for the members on this forum to diagnose this issue.

+1
    I find a lot of times with the CV carbs some black debris probably from the rubber vacuum diaphragms gets into the little pinhole for the vac signal. After cleaning everything I check operation with my shop vac. With suction on the engine side just open the throttle and the slides should go full open.
    As far as your 900 I would suspect a dead cylinder, probably the front.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSFAB View Post
    Time to take it to a dealer, some one who understands cv carbs. In your first post you say you've cleaned the jets and needles.....well the Cv carb high and low speed needles are set at the factory and then capped- non adjustable unless you drill the caps off. Kawasaki had a tech bulletin on how to remove them and richen up the mixture. It also gives base line settings to eliminate bogg.
    As mentioned, the 900 doesn't have CV carbs. The CV carbs do not have high speed adjustment needles.

Don't know if the low speed adjustment on the 1100 has caps or not. My '98 1100 STX had them, my '99 Ultra 150 (bought new) did not have them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information