Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP: 2000 Virage 1200 Drivetrain issues

Hey, I recently bought a Virage, and a few trips out the bearings went out(totally destroyed..). So I got the jet pump rebuild kit and rebuilt the pump. Tested it out and it had a fairly bad shudder from take off, I drove it around and it wouldn't get up to top speed.. Then the driveshaft snapped. I bought a new drive shaft put it all back together (made some makeshift rubber stoppers on the driveshaft since mine were missing). Well now I tested it again, it and has a slight shudder and will only hit 45 mph where it use to go 55mph.

I have a new driveshaft, new bearings. The impeller is defiantly worn(could probably fit 2-3 pennies in between the wear ring and impeller blades) I had ground the edge down on then but left them square. I understand I should get a new impeller but it shouldn't make a 10mpg difference plus a shudder..

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? The motor mounts are good. Shouldn't need an alignment if the motor hasn't moved correct? Thanks, Im pretty handy mechanically wise but i may have done something wrong?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    If you have 2-3 pennies gap, that will cause a large degrease in top speed. Not sure why you would grind down the impeller, but it is likley out of balance causing the vibration and more loss of speed.

Having a driveshaft snap is a huge deal. Make sure thebearings are installed correctly and spin smootly. Replace / have the impeller rebuilt. If you can check the engine alignment.

+1
    If your impeller was worn that bad you probably had stress cracks in the drive shaft.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by grahams View Post
    ... It and has a slight shudder and will only hit 45 mph where it use to go 55mph.

I have a new driveshaft, new bearings. The impeller is definitely worn (could probably fit 2-3 pennies in between the wear ring and impeller blades) I had ground the edge down on then but left them square. I understand I should get a new impeller but it shouldn't make a 10mpg difference plus a shudder.

... I may have done something wrong?
    Why do you think an obscenely worn impeller and damaged wear ring should NOT cause vibration and speed loss?

The optimal blade clearance for the impeller is a mere 0.010 inches, with a max allowable spec of 0.020 inches. A clearance of three stacked pennies (at 61 thou each) would be almost twenty times the desired clearance, and about ten times the max spec.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... It and has a slight shudder and will only hit 45 mph where it use to go 55mph.

I have a new driveshaft, new bearings. The impeller is definitely worn (could probably fit 2-3 pennies in between the wear ring and impeller blades) I had ground the edge down on then but left them square. I understand I should get a new impeller but it shouldn't make a 10mpg difference plus a shudder.

... I may have done something wrong?
    Why do you think an obscenely worn impeller and damaged wear ring should NOT cause vibration and speed loss?

The optimal blade clearance for the impeller is a mere 0.010 inches, with a max allowable spec of 0.020 inches. A clearance of three stacked pennies (at 61 thou each) would be almost twenty times the desired clearance, and about ten times the max spec.
    When I bought it. It went 55mph. That was a few weeks ago. I put the new bearings and driveshaft and now it only goes 40-45. I didn't grind the impeller but merely filed the overlap off (idk why).

Banned User
    +1
    But if you have that much clearance after the pump failure, I can't believe it would even go 40. Im sure that prop is out of balance and even a small bit of wear on an impeller drastically reduces performance. Replace that impeller and let us know how it runs.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    If the only thing that changed was the bearings, the I would say the issue is the bearings. The MFD should show closer to 65 MPH.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    If the only thing that changed was the bearings, then I would say the issue is the bearings. The MFD should show closer to 65 MPH.
    Well, the bearings may not be the only thing that was/is damaged. The driveshaft was probably flailing around even before it broke. The stator bearings may have been twisting and walking inside the stator. The bearing spacer inside the stator may have been worn or become out of square.

I would be going over the whole drive line;

Stator damage in the internal bearing area?

Through-hull bushings worn?

Through-hull seals worn?

Stator properly seated against the pump base? I have had pumps go back together where the sections did not properly mate up.

Worn wear ring? Replace.

Through hull driveshaft bearings and seal are bad. I have some new ones ordered. I will report when I try it again. This jet ski also does the thing where if you ride it for 45 minutes or so, shut it off and go to start it, it wont do anything. No spark, no crank. Pull the safety key and it will turn over but no spark(of coarse). How do I fix that problem?

+1
    ... This jet ski also does the thing where if you ride it for 45 minutes or so, shut it off and go to start it, it wont do anything. No spark, no crank. Pull the safety key and it will turn over but no spark(of coarse). How do I fix that problem?
    See my signature links regarding the reroute of the CDI power wire to Orange terminal, Bulletin PWC-00-05.

I think this change should already have been done at the factory on the 2000 (or was it 2001 onwards) models, but check it.

If the CDI power is already on Orange, the next thing is the LR Start/Stop module itself. It can be bypassed for testing purposes. Details via my signature links.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information