Any Doo Battery Experts?

Is it possible that the temps hovering in mid to upper 30's now during the night can drop the cranking power of our batteries from day to day?? I notice that when I have tried to crank it up the past two days, it barely turns over, and once I had to literally get off the start button because it barely cranked and then there was zip, nada, nothing. Then I tried to start it again and again consecutively and it cranks, but with hesitation. I checked the volts with a meter and it read 12.18. Is that low or normal??

I see the cold weather is slowing down the traffic on the site, does it affect our batteries that much too.

Any Doo'ers out there with dead battery experience?

cold will kill a battery's ability to crank. This is why batteries are rated with CCA (cold cranking amps) I believe they rate cca at 32 degrees. Heat will give you alot more juice but will kill its lifespan. Cold will kill the juice but extend the lifespan.

In your case the cold weather may be amplifing the symptoms of a dying battery

+1
    The oil becomes thicker in cold weather and that puts an extras strain on the battery trying to crank the engine. If my memory is correct, I think a fully charged battery should read 13+ volts on a voltmeter. (??) Cold weather is a good test to quickly weed out batteries that are not up to spec.

Richard

You need to buy a battery tender plus to maintain you battery in the off season. If you dont your battery will be junk when you go to use it next spring. I have 3 of them. One for each motorcycle and one for the ski.
    Hook it up and forget it. Your battery will be like new come spring time.
    Go on line and you can find them for about $45.00
    Thats the battery tender plus model.

+1
    I think One Battery Tender will do 3 batteries???

Check the specs if you have them.

But $45 is cheap and you do not have to parellel thm togather.

Yes 1 battery tender will do 4 batteries BUT.......
    They need to be of equal amps and ratings to work properly.
    My other batteries are not the same as my ski or as the other motorcycles.
    therefore I use individual tenders. Cheep Insurance.

Thanks for all of the replies guys...... I did some playing around with the battery today because I can't go out and play until my Hyperstretch Henderson 5 mil weat suit gets here on Wednesday from Scuba Toys. To damn cold to ride without it. I was smart enough to buy the tender as recommeded above and did leave the battery on it through last winter. So, here is what is up with it. When I stick it on the tender and remove it, it reads 13.4, then when I install it again in the Doo and put in the lanyard, it automatically drops to 12.60 and eventually stops between 12.6 and 12.40. I took it to the local Doo shop and had them put a load on it and the battery was in the Green at +1, which they said it was good. This first started in the beginning of the week before I removed it to charge and test, and the battery read 12.18 and I was told this would have been the culprit for it having difficulty turning over. That's what made me put it on the tender. The weather has been in the 30's during the past week and after I swapped out the shaft is when I first noticed it turning over sort of funny. Geeze, the first thing that came to mind was "shit, is something up with the RXT shaft?" I always thought that it would charge itself right back up to full capacity, but, it does seem like the battery is weakening. Also, my 04 Doo was actually built in Nov 03, so technically, that battery has been in there for 2 years. Hmmm, I guess with the cold weather and lack of riding, I am going to turn into a battery expert whether I like it or not.

+1
    don't forget - DESS drains the battery constantly (albeit a small amount) - if you install a battery disconect - it stops the drain. Harbout Fright tools had them for $5.00 - usually 12 - 15 with removable plastic key.

Tim

+1
    I do a lot of cold weather riding. The RXP battery just doesn't like the cold.
    If you know you are going riding just hook the batterytender up to the battery in the machine the night before you go riding. Make sure the seat is off so no fumes will accumulate in the hull.

+1
    The DESS is probably responsible for the battery reading lower volts when installed than it does when out of the ski, because as was said before, it is putting a constant drain on the battery, even with the ignition off. It will evidentually run the battery down if not occasionally charged.
    I still think the reason your ski sounds different now is because of the cold making the oil thicker.

Richard

Thread Information