Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

88 WR500 Saved from the grave

hey everyone.. just figured I'd make one of these for my old yamaha I just picked up for a hundred bucks, going to revive it for the little ones to play on when they come to the lake. It's my second ski, and my first yamaha... It's a 1988 Wave Runner 500, a real power house from what I hear... lol... but I figured what the hell, I couldn't pass up the deal, a hundred bucks for the ski with the trailer and a brand new full tank of gas. the previous owner said it just died out of no where one day and never fired up again, and it had no spark. I figured it was something easy so I went for it, it cranks well and makes compression and pulls fuel, just no spark. I ohms'd the coil... way out of spec.... it was supposed to be .15 ohms on the primary and 3.5k on the secondary, I got something like 3 ohms on the primary and almost 6k on the secondary. so I ordered a replacement for that today... I checked the voltage coming from behind the flywheel...at cranking I got like 230 something volts from the charge coil, 13 from the pulser coil, and I can't remember what I got for the lighting but it was good. also they all ohms'd almost exactly to spec, so I'm confident the stator is good, I'm hoping it's just a coil and I don't need the cdi box as well, I'm not sure exactly how I'd go about testing that, the manual shows a "cdi tester" being connected inorder to diagnose it. but the coil should be here by wednesday at the latest, so hopefully I'll have some time to throw it in and see what happens... will check back with you all then. I wanna see this ugly duckling smoke! Thanks for reading.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130309_224845_zpsbfedd5e7.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	294608

Name:	2013-03-09_23-23-15_900_zpsd70c3fb3.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	294609

Name:	2013-03-09_23-23-38_676_zps383a540f.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	294610

Name:	2013-03-10_19-29-22_508_zps89941adf.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	294611

+1
    Looks pretty clean to be 25 years old. Great starter ski - good luck with the build.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porschemaniac View Post
    Looks pretty clean to be 25 years old. Great starter ski - good luck with the build.
    thanks! I hope I can bring her back to life, I pretty much bought it for friends/family to ride so I have someone to chase around on my kawasaki when people come over ( kawasaki stx 1100 http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188745 )

+1
    Might want to check the start/run switch on the handlebars. There are a couple of contacts in there that are problematic. One circuit makes the starter turn, a different one opens the power to the coil. Have replaced many on the older Yamaha's. Also sometimes the coil plug wire itself or the plug on the end goes bad. I have seen the wire break right in the middle of the plug wire and you cannot see its broken. On the 2 cyl Yamaha's both plugs fire at the same time from the same coil, 2 times per revolution. One at top dead center and one at bottom.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    Might want to check the start/run switch on the handlebars. There are a couple of contacts in there that are problematic. One circuit makes the starter turn, a different one opens the power to the coil. Have replaced many on the older Yamaha's. Also sometimes the coil plug wire itself or the plug on the end goes bad. I have seen the wire break right in the middle of the plug wire and you cannot see its broken. On the 2 cyl Yamaha's both plugs fire at the same time from the same coil, 2 times per revolution. One at top dead center and one at bottom.
    I disconnected the switch under the hood and tried starting it open, and then jumped together, neither worked. the coil I ordered came with two brand new high tension leads attached to it already, all I've gotta do is go buy a couple spark plug boots and I should be all set unless the cdi is shot as well. I'm getting plenty of juice from all the stator coils, just nothing at the spark plug. I did notice it was a waste-fire coil when I was ohms'ing out the old one, it actually doesn't fire both leads at once, but it sends the voltage down one lead, and then it's return path to the coil is the other spark plug lead so the spark actually jumps the second plug in reverse back into the coil. pretty neat system

+1
    new coil still didn't find me any spark... how much voltage should I be getting from the CDI to the coil?

It's a bad cdi box, always is

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LILEVO View Post
    It's a bad cdi box, always is
    lol, damn it. anyone have one they can part with for cheap?

+1
    picked up an E-Box from a running ski for 50 bucks on ebay. going to swap out the cdi's and hope for the best. I will post back as soon as the UPS truck drops off the order.

http://www.ebay.com/soc/itm/181115153911

+1
    Ebox showed up today, swapped out the cdi's, it sparks now, but only briefly (one or two sparks) when you first hit the starter, and then sometimes it'll spark once as the flywheel slows down when you release the starter. It did this about 5 times in a row... so I let it sit for a minute and then hit it again for about 5-6 seconds straight... same thing, sparks once or twice when it first starts to spin up, then it loses spark until you let go of the starter button, but it's not immediately when you hit it, it's after the engine starts to slow. kind of scratching my head on this one... any suggestion? going to check the ground coming from the stator for voltage with a dva right now, see if maybe one of the coils is shorting to ground at speed... other than that I'm kind of stumped... help anyone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information