Pros/Cons starting PWC without jet pump

Couple of questions:

1) Can I run my engine without the jet pump attached and water supplied only by the flushing adapter?

2) New top end $$$ what is the proper break in period/ procedure?? I'm running Pre-mix.

3) Are the driveshafts the same length for a stock jet pump and a extended jet pump? My driveshaft is stuck in the coupler any suggestions to free it.

Or should I just wait till I get the thing in the water to do this right!

Its been awhile...I just want to hear the thing run!!

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

BREAK IN

Either Remove The Pump And Driveshaft And You Can Run It On The Trailer,or Reinstall The Pump And Wait Till You Get It In The Water,i Hook Up A Hose And Run In The Direction That The Pump Pushes It Through The Motor Without The Pump Or D/s In It,my Pro Is Currently Sitting That Way

Quote Originally Posted by 95SLT750PWC View Post
    Couple of questions:

1) Can I run my engine without the jet pump attached and water supplied only by the flushing adapter? Yes, without the pump or driveshaft. Hook up the hose to the flushing adapter first. Turn on the engine. Then turn on the water, but not too much so you don't flood anything. If the pressure is too high that you don't want to drink out of the hose, then it's too much for your ski.

2) New top end $$$ what is the proper break in period/ procedure?? I'm running Pre-mix. 10 hours is your break-in period. During this time, run 32:1 ratio for your premix. Make sure when you do start it that you let it "warm up" before you start applying throttle. When you do take it out on the lake, do not give it full throttle or "beat on it" too bad...pretty much just cruise. After the 10 hours you're broken in and can run 40:1 or 50:1 premix...although I personally like 40:1.

3) Are the driveshafts the same length for a stock jet pump and a extended jet pump? My driveshaft is stuck in the coupler any suggestions to free it. No. The extended pump has a longer driveshaft. Maybe a little heat would help, although it probably would destroy a rubber boot if your coupler has one. I'd suggest just trying to rock it up and down and left and right while pulling on it.

Or should I just wait till I get the thing in the water to do this right! That's what I'd do, but if you want to start it up to make sure it does start that's not a bad idea either. Good luck!

Its been awhile...I just want to hear the thing run!!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    1. You can run it without the pump, but make sure you don't have the driveshaft in it either. 2. Use 32:1 for break in. Vary engine speeds, but never go to WOT. I wouldn't even go past 1/8 throttle while on the trailer. Run it for 10 min. and let it cool for 10 min. Run it for 15 min. and let it cool for 15 min. Run it for 20 min. and let it cool completely. I'm not fond of the backflush adapter, so I disconnect the cooling hose from inside the hull and hook up the garden hose to it. Yes, start the engine BEFORE the water and shut off the water BEFORE the engine to prevent water filling your cylinders. Then when you're in the water, vary the engine speeds. Never go WOT or cruise the same RPM for extended peiods of time. 3.The extended pump uses a shaft that is 4" longer than the short pump. 4. You can start the break in process on the trailer, but you will need to put it in the water to finish the break it in. Yes, about 10 hrs or usually 2 tanks of gas and ease in to WOT. Good luck.

As we say in Hawaii.....MUCH MAHALOS!!

Thanks guyz..its good to see you all are on the same page!!! Excellent!!

Thread Information