1994 Waverunner III flywheel

I replaced the bendix in a 1994 waverunner 3 I just aquired. I put it back on & was getting ready to put the motor back in the ski when it occurred to me, I had NO idea if there was a difference int the positions of the flywheel & whether or not it would affect spark. ( I know DUH......) So can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the position of the flywheel to the crank? Im not finding landmarks. Thanks for reading

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanwoodard View Post
    I replaced the bendix in a 1994 waverunner 3 I just aquired. I put it back on & was getting ready to put the motor back in the ski when it occurred to me, I had NO idea if there was a difference int the positions of the flywheel & whether or not it would affect spark. ( I know DUH......) So can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the position of the flywheel to the crank? Im not finding landmarks. Thanks for reading
    Did you reinstall the woodruff key back on the crankshaft stub when you put the flywheel back on?? That determines flywheel position.

I saw the slot it went in. But there was no key there. Any suggestions? Thanks for the reply

+1
    You gotta get a key in there, or the flywheel will likely slip and it won't run right. Even more important, you gotta make sure that when you took the flywheel off it may have fell down into the stator cover area, or possibly stuck to the magnetic area on the flywheel. Regardless, you gotta pull the flywheel again, make damn sure that key isn't in the stator area anywhere (it can do damage if you run it and its in there), and either put the one you find back on the shaft when you reinstall or go buy another key.

I can't say enough, make sure that little key isn't in the stator/flywheel area - its gonna tear it up if its in there. Its a little half-moon shaped piece of steel.

Check on ur flywheel on the inside they typically fall out or get stuck in the crank nose when pulling the wheel if u can't find urs I got a few send me ur address and il throw one in the mail for yeah

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahayz250rider View Post
    Check on ur flywheel on the inside they typically fall out or get stuck in the crank nose when pulling the wheel if u can't find urs I got a few send me ur address and il throw one in the mail for yeah
    I think thats what I just told him

The key is a 50 cent part at a hardware store - why wait for snailmail?

+1
    Hey - do let us know how it goes, what you find in there

Thanks for all the help. Harbor freight sells a collection of them for $8. I couldn't find the old one. This motor was already partly disassembled, so I think it had been lost already. I did get the bendix back in & the flywheel back on. PSI is 150 on both cylinders. Not bad for a ski I paid $40 for.

Thread Information