Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Intake grate or not to intake grate. 2013 FX SHO

Hi everyone im in 2 minds whether to put an after market intake grate on my ski. I read too many posts and have mixed opinions so I thought lets mix it up even more and make a post to get peoples opinions.

I ride in flat and choppy water 50/50. I have been told an intake grate will give you better hook up with choppy water but will lose top end speed and flat water speed.

Is this the case with those of you who have changed intake grates?

If so, what have you done to compensate this?

R & D have just launched their new intake grate however there are no tests or results to show its quality.

I would appreciate any feedback you can give me with this.

My ski is stock other than Riva air filter and ribbon delete. Have ordered and waiting delivery of my ride plate from Jim and that is all the mods to date.

I do want better hook up and also top end speed not to be jeopardised.

Thank you.

I just installed a Worx Intake grate on my 2012 fx sho and i've found that the ski feels more stable in the chop. I also found that it pulls harder from rest. Stock grate gave me very minute cavitation. Am yet to do GPS runs with grate installed, prior to installing grate I was hitting 106km/h in the bay and 108km/h (GPS confirmed) on the lake.

+1
    Nobrainer here. Put a R&D intake grate on it for sure! Tommy Jordan

+1
    I agree with tommy about r&d all the way. That should be the first mod in my opinion, kinda a lil insurance upgrade.

+1
    Ok so you have helped me make my decision. I will also change my intake grate and hope the r and d with jims ride plate works well with stock impeller. Yami impeller stock is 12/21.

Thanks guys for taking the time to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Hey tommy, everyone seems to respects your comments and is why I am asking you this question. With the 2012/2013 being a new hull and design the grates haven't been tested back to back. Why would you rate the r&d grate over the worx grate?

I would ask yourself first, "how am I riding the Ski, and based on that what do I hope to accomplish". If you are just riding recreationally on a stock / near stock Ski I don't see where a different intake grate is going to change things that much on this Ski. On my 2012 FX SHO in calmer waters I ride with the Trim in neutral setting. Choppier waters I will click it down one notch (nose down a little bit). Just one click will effect speed and hookup based on the water I am in.

The seat covers on the FX SHO models are not that good (especially FX SHO Cruiser). Personally, I would save the money and get a quality seat cover from someone like Hydro Turf (that's what I did). JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeyb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Hey tommy, everyone seems to respects your comments and is why I am asking you this question. With the 2012/2013 being a new hull and design the grates haven't been tested back to back. Why would you rate the r&d grate over the worx grate?
    R&D does there home work on these grates and so far has the best grate with a combination of water hook up and still keeping good top speed. The works design grates have the best water hook up but seem to be a little slower in top speed. Tommy Jordan

+1
    Thanks Guys for the comments. Keep them coming.

Agree with Tommy! R&D intake grates were the first thing I did on my '10 FXHOs. Made a big difference in the chop.

R&D makes great products.

You should also consider adding the R&D pump seal kit---it seals the open areas of the grate and reduces cavitation--- much easier to install it initially than pull the grate off to do it later.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information