Stereo help please

HI, I am a new user and have been reading thread after thread about adding a stereo to my 2004 GTI sea Doo. And, I am still not sure on what to do.

My dad brought 4 6.5 alpine sps 600 speakers and a pyle 800 w amp with Ipod adapter for his boat, and then upgraded to a JL system so I have the 4 speakers and amp. I want to add another battery. Might only have one pair of speakers installed since the lack of room.

I have received two different opinions on this.

Get another deep cycle battery and have the stereo power only off that and when it dies, it dies. Nothing connecting to anything but battery to stereo. And recharge it at home.

Or

Get a Perko battery switch with 1, 2, 1+2, and have it charged by alternator. But, someone told me that with the 2 strokes, it will overwork my alternator. I want to listen to my stereo with the engine off, and have it run off the second battery. And recharge while running. I am not good at understanding which way is best. And, also recommending getting a ACR instead of a Perko switch or an stinger battery isolator with a perko switch.

Can someone please explain to me the best setup and what exactly I need.

Thank you, I am sorry for posting this since there are many threads about this, I just want to make sure I don't end up with a dead battery on the lake or that I killed my alternator.

+1
    Welcome to the forum! I always thought about doing something like this, never really looked into it.

I think between the two options, it really depends on how much you plan on using the stereo. If you don't plan on using it for hours on end you could just get another deep cycle battery and recharge at home like you said. If it were me I would probably do it this way, seems much simpler.

I would use the stereo a lot actually. About 3-4 hours total a day. The small deep cycle PWC batteries would only last 2 hours I think. It was a 19 amp, and I probably will have 6-8 amps a hour. I am not sure if I can install a bigger battery though, room wise. I was told the biggest pwc battery was a 19 amp, but maybe that was only at their store.

Thanks for the advice/welcome

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...9-to-2010.aspx

Is this a deep cycle battery? I was told by the salesmen it would give me 4-6 hours stereo time a charge, but I didn't see anywhere that said deep cycle on it. If it can give me that much playing time, I will just charge it overnight, and not have it connected to anything but the stereo.

+1
    Check this thread...

This is what happens when you overload a charging system...

Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    Check this thread...

yes, I want to avoid that! I saw that you powered your stereo with lipo batteries. Don't know much about them, but looked them up and they have very high amp/hours. I'm not sure if I am understanding the specs, but I saw one with 1000ah? If that is true, I would go that route. Prob get a smaller one, but that would fix my problem.

+1
    The 1000 is probably mAH... milliamp hours... that means it's a 1 amp hour. I have a small amp pushing 2 sound exciters running on a cheap hobbyking 2500mah 3s1p lipo pack and it lasts for hours. I feed the amp with an iPhone and it's plenty loud especially if i'm parked and off for a swim. Read up well on the lipos, they take a special type of charger and if used (extremely) incorrectly they can be flammable... The benefits out weight the risks for me because of the convenience factor, they are so cheap i buy 2 and just swap them out, they fully charge in 1 hour, and the capacity / weight ratio is excellent...

Not trying to argue but they guy has 7 speakers and 2 amps....that is a lot of power to take on.

I have 2 JL Audio speakers on my ski powered by a 400w JLamp all running off my 2nd battery which is an optima gel. 2 speakers vs. 7 and 1amp vs. 2. Would my set up overload a charging system?

Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    Check this thread...

Thread Information