Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Winterization Questions

Okay its about that time and I have a few questions that I dont have clear answers on through looking at the threads on here and talking to other ski owners.

1) Fill up the fuel tank and add stabilizer, or run the tank empty?

2) Run Antifreeze/water mixture through the ski via the hose connection by the pump?

3) Remove all the oil from the engine? Then pull the plugs and squirt a little oil into all cylinders and turn-over the engine to coat the walls?

4) What kind of battery charger is best? Trickle?

anything else Im missing or have wrong? Also my ski is garage kept, so freezing shouldnt be a problem but I guess its possible.

Jay

+1
    1) full tank, put stabilizer in before you fill it. then flush the engine with water.

2) if your ski is in a heated garage you don't need to run anti-freeze in it. it probably wouldn't hurt to flush it with anti-freeze.

3) leave the oil in it. remove the fuel rail, shoot fogging oil into the holes, crank engine with throttle pegged to prevent gas from shooting out the injectors and ruining your day.

4) remove the batt, put it on a batt maintainer.

check out the important info forum on this site.

have a fun winter!

I basically did what miketrin had mentioned. Also ran antifreeze through the I/C and exhaust via pump hose connection. I also sprayed that bombardier lube on throttle cable, and any other exposed metal parts.My machine will sit in an insulated garage, so some of the above may have been overkill, but the whole process only took like 45 min (including beer breaks here and there) and it doesn't hurt.

Change the oil. old oil will attack the seals.
    Add fuel stabile and run motor for a short time to get stabile into injectors.
    This will run the water out of the exhaust system. No need to flush with coolant.
    Remove plugs and give it a shot of tranny fluid. roll the motor over without starting it. (make sure the plugs are back in first. or do it by hand)
    Buy a battery tender plus and hook it to your battery and leave it on all winter.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    the Intercooled Seadoos are not self-draining... 2005 BRP put out a service bulletin about making sure they units are filled with antifreeze before winter... exhaust manifold and intercooler...

remove the hoses going into the intercooler, tilt the ski down let it drain... put the bottom hose back on... funnel anti-freeze into the intercooler, then put last hose back on.

exhaust manifold... remove hose, funnel anti-freeze in there...

OPTION 2...
    bucket, put anti-freeze in it. put a bilge pump in the bucket with hose going into the flush adapter in back of ski... start the ski, turn on bilge pump which will pump anti-freeze into intercooler and exhaust.. after you see enti-freeze come out the exhaust in back of ski then turn the ski off and the bilge pump off and there will be enuff in there to hold it for the winter.

Intercooler flush ?

So, reading the threads in this site there seems to be controversy on flushing the IC .
    On a 2006 RXT - for winterizing - will pouring straight antifreeze through the rear hose connector be sufficient for winterizing ?
    And does the engine need to be running to do this ?

Sheeesh !

+1
    So did I do it wrong also? I made a hose fitting that goes in the flush tube, than its hooked to a 1 gallon funnel. I pour in about half a gallon while the ski is idleing, it only takes a minute or less before there is antifreeze coming out of the pump and the exhaust, I also notice the exhaust smelling pretty bad. I forgot to add that the hose is aout 4' long and the funnel when I'm ddoing this is mounted on a ladder so its just about at handle bar level so its above the water pump. I figured that should over come gravity enouh to get it to suck and you can smell and see it coming out. I will do the fogging later next week, we have a cold snap an just wanted to get this one to prevent any freeze up. With my levels higher than everything else shouldnt that do the IC, exhaust and what ever else? I used to have the dealer do it but damn they charge me $125.00 times that by 4 and it gets spendy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    So did I do it wrong also? I made a hose fitting that goes in the flush tube, than its hooked to a 1 gallon funnel. I pour in about half a gallon while the ski is idleing, it only takes a minute or less before there is antifreeze coming out of the pump and the exhaust, I also notice the exhaust smelling pretty bad. I forgot to add that the hose is aout 4' long and the funnel when I'm ddoing this is mounted on a ladder so its just about at handle bar level so its above the water pump. I figured that should over come gravity enouh to get it to suck and you can smell and see it coming out. I will do the fogging later next week, we have a cold snap an just wanted to get this one to prevent any freeze up. With my levels higher than everything else shouldnt that do the IC, exhaust and what ever else? I used to have the dealer do it but damn they charge me $125.00 times that by 4 and it gets spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    So did I do it wrong also? I made a hose fitting that goes in the flush tube, than its hooked to a 1 gallon funnel. I pour in about half a gallon while the ski is idleing, it only takes a minute or less before there is antifreeze coming out of the pump and the exhaust,
    If it's coming out of the pump you are good to go.

+1
    Thats what I thought, until I started reading, and then questioning myself. My biggest concern was freezing right now, until I have time to reorganzie the shop and get them on the dollies. I figured if its coming out the pump and you can see the white exhaust and smell it its pretty much gone every where it can, plus I use 100% Peak, which is easiest on aluminum, at a 100% non diluted ration so it wont e diluted by any remaining water. By having my resivore(?) so high, I know it picks it up and pumps it you watch the level go down then see it come out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information