how bad is this for a ski? 08 vx waverunner im looking at purchasing

I found a ski I want to purchase. Its an 08 vx deluxe and has 11.8 hrs on it. I went to see it today and upon initial inspection everything looks good. I am going back to do a very thorough look over the ski. The guy had it hooked up to a hose and started the engine while using the red and black cables hooked directly to a charger cables because the battery is shot and no longer in the wc. I have read before that jumping a battery isn't the best, is what he is doing OK? Serious question guys, I have a feeling he is doing this every time he shows it. Also, he has kept a heat lamp on it during the winter and it was so close it made the oil cap burn. Any things I should check after seeing the damage to the cap or is it probably not to big a deal

Smith Lake, Alabama
    If jumping it off were to hurt anything it would pop the computer. This is the same as cars. This would cause it to not start and it is not a progressive problem if it starts again it will be ok. The heat lamp thing most likely only hurt the cap but I would look around for maybe a vacuum line or something else that is close to the cap, other than that I cannot think of anything else it could have hurt.

I'm with the cool kids Mowerpan's Avatar
    It will be fine but I would be worried more about the fact the guy won't even buy a battery for it to show possible buyers it runs without jumping it. Screams run away to me.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    With only 12 hours on it, it should be just fine with a new battery in it. I'd say use it as a bargaining chip and get it for a few hundred less.

5. +1 by:

Thanks for the info guys, I will try and see if he will take some off for the battery. What batteries y'all recommend for these skis

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    I always used the SeaVolt from west marine and they lasted me many years and always fired on the first start. Love those batteries!

Lake Of The Ozarks
    A "AGM sealed Battery" should be fine, it will run about $78 to $90 depending on where you purchase it. Goood Luck

San Antonio, Texas, United States
    I have always run Oddessey batteries in my skis and had great luck.

Thread Information