Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Buying used from a dealer, need opinions

Checked out an 01 gp800r with 91hrs at a dealer that "appeared" to be super clean, fired right up, trim and steering worked well, hull, impeller, motor etc all looks good no corrosion. They had just got it in that day on trade & was sitting in the back not even in the inventory yet. I come back a day later to give it a once over and have them do a live compression test for me & upon my return I see oily water draining from the back of the ski....then when the mechanic came and did the compression test it was 155-130 which is #1 too high for a stock 800 and #2 more than a 10% difference and def an issue. One plug looked fine while the back one looked burned up.

The dealer says they will completely fix the motor problems and have the correct compression, replace the PV's if they are malfunctioning etc.

My question is can I really trust them to fix the issues or will they just patch it to get it out the door? Would they be able to rig a motor to have correct compression numbers? They offered a 5 hour warranty which covers anything they missed should it have problems but I'm just afraid of finding out too late that the motor hadn't really been fixed correctly.

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1
    I would pass and look for a 1200.

If you do buy it I would run that thing non stop for the first 5 hours. If it don't break during that I think your good.

Not really worried about speed and would like the fuel efficiency of the smaller motor. Also I assumed if things did go wrong it would be easier to fix . Is there any reason other than hp to look at the 1200?

Well they promised 5 before we found the issues so I may ask them to double that to 10 in light of them having to wrench on it. And yea that was one thought to just go nuts with it in that 5-10 hrs

+1
    I think I would pass, honestly the dealer may not have a mechanic that is qualified to "really" fix it right. Sorry but that is how it is. The fuel efficiency of an 800 may not be as much better than you think, because in the marine world it takes so much to keep a boat moving that the bigger engine not working as hard often gets better mileage (cruising). No doubt the 1200 uses more at top speed, but in everyday use it may not be worse. Also you will find more used parts (engine wise) for a 1200.

PS, when buying a pwc or boat, ALWAYS water test before buying. Thay can sound perfect on the trailer or hose, but not be able to make it up on plane in the water. 2 strokes are kinda funny like that. Can idle reasonable and rev ok out of the water, but put a load on it and problems show up.

+1
    Hello, hope we are not running you off ... but everyone here just wants you to have a good ski experience. Now having said that you never mention the price of the deal ... that always has to play into your decision making. With the five hour allowance you can get a good ride check. So that helps ... but you may find the 800 will not be enough ski for your liking and the 1200 as stated before will not be a lot harder on gas ... 2 strokes just burn fuel thats the way it is. I say ride it if you like it & no issues then you keep it and @ lease get a good summer.

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    Hello, hope we are not running you off ... but everyone here just wants you to have a good ski experience. Now having said that you never mention the price of the deal ... that always has to play into your decision making. With the five hour allowance you can get a good ride check. So that helps ... but you may find the 800 will not be enough ski for your liking and the 1200 as stated before will not be a lot harder on gas ... 2 strokes just burn fuel thats the way it is. I say ride it if you like it & no issues then you keep it and @ lease get a good summer.
    Nah don't feel like im getting ran off .....the price out the door was $3800 with trailer tax tag title and the 5hr warranty. I know you can find them in the want ads/craigslist for cheaper. My thinking was that the little bit of warranty you get with the dealer would be more peace of mind than putting around on it with some random seller for a few minutes. This ski will be mainly used for cruising around with friends who own small boats and riding around with my daughter on occasion. Their boats barely reach 45 and the 50-ish top speed of the 800 seemed ok to me. I may take a second look though at some 1200's or even some 13's in the area, they had some at the dealership but they looked pretty beat up.

I know the dealership could screw me (which is the main reason i made this thread) but im really leery of handing someone from craigslist a couple thousand cash just to have the ski come apart a few hours later.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSRT4turbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    Nah don't feel like im getting ran off .....the price out the door was $3800 with trailer tax tag title and the 5hr warranty. I know you can find them in the want ads/craigslist for cheaper. My thinking was that the little bit of warranty you get with the dealer would be more peace of mind than putting around on it with some random seller for a few minutes. This ski will be mainly used for cruising around with friends who own small boats and riding around with my daughter on occasion. Their boats barely reach 45 and the 50-ish top speed of the 800 seemed ok to me. I may take a second look though at some 1200's or even some 13's in the area, they had some at the dealership but they looked pretty beat up.

I know the dealership could screw me (which is the main reason i made this thread) but im really leery of handing someone from craigslist a couple thousand cash just to have the ski come apart a few hours later.
    Were are you located ill do the same warranty you can look at it on craigslist i got it listed with a single trailer for $3500. its a 1300
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (69).jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	294865  

I'm located in Tampa, fl...had a few pm's from ppl already who are selling stuff so I may take a look at more options. I'm not in a rush to buy and have looked at some local skis that were on Craigslist and came away not impressed with what I saw for the $4000 price range. I understand I'm buying an older used two stroke and it will not be in new condition but some of these machine look like they were ran in a demo derby.

I'm guessing the ski I was looking at had sat for awhile because 91 hours for an 01 seems low and that would explain its clean appearance.

+1
    Walk away and never look back. Go find a 12/1300r for cheaper. Much better deals out there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information