Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

gp 1300r cylinders

i was just wondering if anyone has come across this problem i have an 03 gp 1300r motor sent the cylinders out to millenium technologies they started working on them and each cylinder has a pin hole in the water jackets on the outside of the cylinders and they say its to thin to weld does anyone know of somebody who could fix these thanks for your help

+1
    Yes i had the same problem on a cylinder i sent off and got back. i can tell you the way i fixed the one i got back. The cylinders is pretty clean when you get them back so i took a small drill bit about a 1/16 and drilled through the hole then made sure the inside of the hole was clean (inside water jacket) you may have to use a small angle tool to scrape the inside water jacket. after the surfaces was roughened and cleaned with soap and water and dry. i mixed up some JB weld and pressed it into the hole i drilled and used a small screwdriver to work it around inside the water jacket about a 1'' square area and about a 2'' area on the outside of the cylinder about 3/32 thick. then after the JB weld was fully cured i pressure tested the water jacket.

Since i had this problem i pressure test all cylinders i get back from being replated.

so did it last like that for you and did you get any more pin holes after that

+1
    Never had any problem with it leaking after that.

how do you pressure test the cylinders

+1
    I have a lot of extra parts and have a junk set of cases that i have cut down to 1 cylinder and an R&D head to seal top and a triple pipe exhaust manifold to seal the exhaust side. the reason i test the water ports is you can see where the crack is with soap and water. after doing a 4 corner seize on my 1390 and cracking the exhaust port and getting it back from being renicked still cracked had to be able to mark the crack so they could weld up the crack when they renick the cylinder.

thanks for the info

i used jb weld like you said pressure tested cylinders good to go put ski back together last week started break in and its really moving thanks again for your help you saved me a ton of money and dean at millenium technologies discounted the renik and hone job because of the problem they are great there they really try to help you out

Good info....Since mine melted a piston, I'll check while it is tore down. Where should I be looking?

Banned User
    +1
    post some pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information