Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Run in for 1800 ho

My first engine snapped a timing chain and as a result of the ruined engine, a new engine has been fitted under warranty. My run in procedure on original engine was lengthy warm up then no lengthy wot runs till 10 hours... Lots of short wot burst though. So basically I rode it like I stole it except was easy on the wot Dealer said engine looked to be in great condition other than the failure.
    I'm interested to know people's opinions on run in. I know they vary but let's have it....

Also these things don't really like big chop, as I ride in a lot of big chop I just hold her flat and let the rev limiter do its job. It's the best way to get somewhere and it's not practical to let off throttle when you don't know when it's going to unhook. In my opinion if it doesn't have a supercharger no big deal? Right?

+1
    if its under warranty don't let off the gas till its time to refuel.
    Keep her pinned like a cheap hooker..

+1
    It's always a good idea to break it in properly. There is something called metal fatigue. Some do some don't. If I was going to buy used I would like to think it was broke in wright.

+1
    Your owner's manual covers exactly how to break in the engine, give it a look and follow it.

Basically...

- Idle only for the first 5 minutes
    - Under 5000RPM for the following 30 minutes
    - Under 6000RPM for 1 hour after that
    - Done

Replace oil at 10 hours, then the normal interval applies.

First run in was not as per the owners manual, I inspected the engine today in person. Other than the damage that has occurred from a timing chain break the engine was in perfect condition. The bloke told me they inspected my run in procedure on the ecu as per yamahas request and were fine with it. I nearly choked haha.
    After I completed run in today by the book I recorded a top speed of 63.68...pathetic. Already thinking I should have flogged it from the start. Also that was relative horsepower of 102.2% I'm 99kg and saltwater at sea level.

+1
    No offense, but I would hope that your engine with 50 hours on it would be in perfect condition other than the busted chain. That's like ~2500 miles on a car. You won't know the effect, good or bad, your (im)proper break-in will have until later.

Patience, grasshopper...

I've yet to drive my car at max rpm/throttle for 50 hours 50%of the time. I have tried to run paddock bombs full throttle for half a tank of petrol, some have run out of petrol some have blown up. We are talking a different beast in a waverunner with all due respect.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I've yet to drive my car at max rpm/throttle for 50 hours 50%of the time. I have tried to run paddock bombs full throttle for half a tank of petrol, some have run out of petrol some have blown up. We are talking a different beast in a waverunner with all due respect.
    Yeah, it's not like I drive my car on a road course fairly often, spending a good amount of time at WOT...Oh wait...

Yes, with all due respect, 50 hours on a stock Waverunner is nothing, I don't care how you ride it. Point is, expecting an engine to look used after 50 hours suggests you might be new to 4-stroke Waverunners.

Yes I am new to waverunners. What I am suggesting is that if my engine looks mint after 50 hours. My run in procedure was fine! Forget the rubbish with the rpm limiting! I was warned to do it properly though as they would look closer if there was another failure!
    There is nothing like a watercraft engine (maybe a leaf blower) that runs max power at max rpm for sustained periods.

+1
    You don't get it, but that's ok. Enjoy your ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information