Msx 150 water in hull

I am new to this site been reading all the threads. I have a msx 150 have owned since new in 2004. Have water showing up in bottom of hull. Tried puttin water in and seeing if it would leak out through bearing but nothing showed up. Any suggestions I live in west Texas and do not have a close by ramp to put in water to test.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

An original owner, eh? Very nice! How many hours you got on it? How does it run? Ever had any problems with it up till now?

When is the water showing up in the hull? After running it in the water? Or after running it on the trailer "on the hose"?

I'll guess you mean after you're done riding it on the water... you're finding water in the hull. If so... likely culprit is the through-hull-bearing assembly. It's where the driveshaft goes from inside the hull to outside into the jet pump tunnel and to the jet pump. This assembly has 3 seals in it that ride on the driveshaft and keep the water out of the hull. These are a normal wear item and eventually need to be rebuilt to prevent leaks.

See this page in the Polaris Knowledge Bank... in particular the link titled 'How to remove and replace the MSX seals and bearing'
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....ge-genesis-msx

If it's not leaking through there... it must be coming from either the raw water system or the engine coolant system. It's not coolant (anti-freeze), right? So that would leave the raw water system. The main raw water hose comes in from the jet pump on the battery side of the driveshaft in the back. It goes to the intercooler, then to the heat exchanger, then to the oil reseverior tank then to the exhaust and then back out the rear. Any one of these hoses connections could be leaking or it's possible you have a worn spot in a hose or a crack. Check them all thoroughly.

See service raw water plumbing diagram here:

That should get you started.

Cheers!

Banned User
    +1
    Could also be something as simple as the bilge siphons not working properly and allowing water into the hull instead of pumping it out. Check the elbows at the tops of the siphon tubes and make sure the little vent hole in them is clear. Also check the screens at the ends of the siphon hoses to make sure they are clean.

It has 86 hours on it had some problems from day one but love it to much to get a something different. It ran
    great until last season. No major problems had a good mechanic that took care of it until last year. Sent in for a simple oil change and the new mechanic called me saying he wasn't sure if I needed a new motor because it had no oil in it to start with. The idiot didn't know you had to run it before you check the oil so he just added new oil. Since it has been a bit sluggish and not hitting top speed like it use to.

At the end of last season it showed a lot of water in the hull after a trip on the lake. So much so it would only idle back to dock. Thank god I was only 100yds or so from dock. Put it up on my boat lift and drained it out. Lowered back into water and let it sit still on the lift not running. Let it sit their for about 20 minutes and water showed up in hull about 2 inches worth. But seemed to fill even faster when I started it up again. I do not have a place to hook hose up to it. Was always real good about having it serviced and they had a water pit. But after last year with that new mechanic and don't know ware old one went to I do not want to take it back to that place. Besides now that my kids are all in college I have more time to do things myself.

1. What line do I hook hose connection to first. That should tell me if the leak is in the fresh water system?
    2. I read I should change bearing seals every 100 hrs Or three years. Definatly over three year mark so that needs to get done and where can I get the seals and do I need a drive shaft puller?
    3. Is there something I should look at about the sluggish runnin?

After I found the leak I put it up on trailer and has been in the garage ever since. Took it out last week and it started up after a batterie charge. Season is near and I got to get it ready to go. Like I said earlier I love this machine and couldn't see owning another.
    Last edited by Devdanshn; 03-16-2013 at 12:23 AM.

+1
    Nice to hear you're still fond of your MSX and it's served you well all these years.

Sounds like you have a couple issues here to deal with.

You mentioned flooding your ski and it would only idle back to the dock. How full was it inside? Happened to me once when I forgot the drain plug!

1. Water in the hull. Assuming you've eliminated possibilities such as cracks/holes in the hull or missing drain plugs... then I'd be looking at the through-hull-bearing/seal assembly. With the ski in the water... just floating there... you should be able to detect water coming in there. Remove the driveshaft metal guard (if still there) and grab a flashlight and watch your driveshaft where it comes through the assembly into the hull. If your taking on as much water as described... you'd have to be able to notice the water dripping or trickling in along the driveshaft. This will confirm your through-hull-bearing/seal assembly is worn out and needs rebuilt. Or it's possible this assembly has lost it's seal to the hull... it has a gasket sorta seal to the hull... and that could be leaking.
    Also see this thread: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...113#post769239

So I'd put your ski in the water floating... seat off... not running... and patiently watch and observe the inner hull area for water and try to track down where it's coming in. If the ski isn't running... there is no fresh water being pumped into the fresh water system so that wouldn't be the leak point.

To rebuild this assembly... see this page in the Polaris Knowledge Bank... in particular the links titled 'How to remove the MSX drive shaft' and 'How to remove and replace the MSX seals and bearing'
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....x/msx-specific

As for the fresh water system... I would check and rebuild the through-hull assembly first. But if you wanted to check for a leak in the fresh water system... I would put the ski on the trailer and get the inner hull dry first. It doesn't sound like you have a Polaris hose flush attachment fitting installed on your ski (I don't either)... so I would disconnect the main fresh water hose feed line where it comes through the hull from the jet pump... battery side of the driveshaft in the rear. In the pictures posted above... bottom pic... says 'freshwater inlet hose'. Pop this off it's connector... buy a female garden hose repair end and insert it into the end of this freshwater inlet hose and clamp it down. Now connect your garden hose to the freshwater inlet hose. [WARNING: when you turn on the garden hose do not open it ALL the way. Typical house water pressure is 50-70psi... which is more than the freshwater system generates from the jet pump. So only turn it on 1/3 to 1/2 way... more than a trickle... less than full blast... just need a steady stream]

Now you can start the ski and turn on the hose (note warning)... and you are running "on the hose". Limit hose running time to 2-3 minutes. While running on the hose... you should be seeing water coming out the outlet in a steady stream. This is good. Now grab a flashlight and start looking for leaks. Careful of hot exhaust side... and spinning driveshaft coupler. Start feeling around all the hose connections for the freshwater system and see if any connector/hose is leaking. See any leaks? Any water in the hull? This is how I would check it. Be sure to check where hoses connect to intercooler... lower right (intake/battery) side... and check the hoses connecting to the heat exchanger under the intake manifold.

Cheers!
    Last edited by K447; 03-16-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: metal coupler cover on MSX hulls

6. +1 by:

+1
    As for the other possible issue... too much oil.

So the mechanic thought you were out of oil (none on dipstick) and just added new oil?
    Did you get it drained back out to the correct levels?
    Did you run the ski with too much oil in it?

If you ran it... and it had too much oil in it... it's VERY likely your ski ingested oil back into the intake. This could explain your sluggish running.

Pull the turbo-to-intercooler hose and see if there is any oily sludge/foam in there. Shine a light into the IC and see if you see any gunk in there.

If you do find a heavy oil coating or gunk... it's due to the oil vapor recovery emissions recirc hose that comes from the oil separator cyclone (battery side of oil tank) to the airbox. This line is meant to recycle oil vapors from the oil tank back into the intake to be burned. But what happens is anytime the oil is overfilled, or gets water/coolant in it, or even a loose oil tank baffle... the oil foams up real bad expanding in volume. This oily foam floods out of the oil tank into the oil separator cyclone but can't be separated back to oil/air easily... so it just get sucked back through the aforementioned hose into the intake system... through the turbo, intercooler, fouling the 2 MAP sensors, into the intake. The fouled sensors give bad inputs to the ECU and it goes into limp mode and/or runs real bad. This is very common with too much oil and when the ski rolls over.

If this is your case... you'll need to clean the entire intake tract from the turbo to the intake manifold. The hardest is cleaning out the intercooler... which you can't really clean in place since theirs no way to flush it out. And pulling the IC out of the ski is a pain. The other hoses and such aren't so hard to remove and clean. Also, it's very likely 1 or both MAP sensors are damaged if they got oil coated. You can try cleaning them first... but you might have to buy new ones. Don't get these from Polaris... there are direct fit OEM replacements from GM that are only ~$45.

So pull some intake hoses and inspect. Let us know what you find.

Cheers!

8. +1 by:

I have a MSX 140 & has a problem with water filling up in the hull also.first time it was a bolt that came out of the sponson.
    2nd time I did everything to find out but could not find it. I took it to a shop & the guy took 10 mins & found it.
    It was a 2 into 1 hose behind battery box that had come off. When ski sat in water, it would fill up. When you ran it, water would siphon out.

Thread Information