Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

12 PX (newer skis) paint "whitening"

Hey guys, I know a few of you posted last year about how getting a few drops of gas on the black plastics ended up leaving white spots. Well, I was very careful about it and never had any problems until I went to remove the yellow seadoo stickers. Ended up getting big white blotches from where the stickers were (didn't happen on any other parts of the ski except for the hood ones). I know of few a you said you contacted seadoo and they helped you out. If any of you could post about how you went about it, it would be a great help. All my yellow got a fresh paint job and now the white blotches make it look like crap!

+1
    Without seeing pics of what you're seeing it makes it hard to offer a solution, but if it's just "dulled" paint you could try using a polish like "formula" scratch out, or "turtle wax" scratch remover. They both work well and are inexpensive too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ATNryan View Post
    Hey guys, I know a few of you posted last year about how getting a few drops of gas on the black plastics ended up leaving white spots. Well, I was very careful about it and never had any problems until I went to remove the yellow seadoo stickers. Ended up getting big white blotches from where the stickers were (didn't happen on any other parts of the ski except for the hood ones). I know of few a you said you contacted seadoo and they helped you out. If any of you could post about how you went about it, it would be a great help. All my yellow got a fresh paint job and now the white blotches make it look like crap!

I havae tried to help some members with this and BRP says no it is cosmetic and the warranty wont cover it

+1
    [QUOTE=Tiny;2124752]
    Quote Originally Posted by ATNryan View Post
    Darn, it was worth a shot. I'm going to try buffing it out, but I doubt its going to help since it doesn't seem like there is much material there to deal with. If not, I have a friend who repairs skis at his home and I will just have him respray the damaged parts I guess. Thanks for the help guys.

Is the whitening on the gelcoat? If it is, goto advanced auto or target or walmart etc in the car detailing section. Pick up some meguiars ultimate compound. Don't use any turtle wax products EVER! They are horrible and will do more harm than good. Car detailing is a hobby of mine. Also, if you do use ultimate compound make sure you don't get it on any plastic trim pieces. Im pretty sure it will stain trim like most cheaper products.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxt260_IS View Post
    Is the whitening on the gelcoat? If it is, goto advanced auto or target or walmart etc in the car detailing section. Pick up some meguiars ultimate compound. Don't use any turtle wax products EVER! They are horrible and will do more harm than good. Car detailing is a hobby of mine. Also, if you do use ultimate compound make sure you don't get it on any plastic trim pieces. Im pretty sure it will stain trim like most cheaper products.
    So how is using a Turtle wax product going to hurt? Guess what I use on my paintwork.

Turtle wax products are not exactly the best to use. When you get in to the world of compounding, there are easier compounds to use that will yield better results. For over the counter products, anything from Meguiars, Mothers, and Griots Garage is going to be much better to use. I myself would never let a Turtle wax product touch my paint unless it is their rinseless wash, but then again im very anal compulsive about my car. Im not saying you cant use Turtle wax (thats your choice), but they are known to hide the real damage that exists and by hide I mean not in a good way. You could be using the wrong technique on your paint and not know the damage you are doing.

+1
    Turtle wax products are not exactly the best to use. When you get in to the world of compounding, there are easier compounds to use that will yield better results. For over the counter products, anything from Meguiars, Mothers, and Griots Garage is going to be much better to use. I myself would never let a Turtle wax product touch my paint unless it is their rinseless wash, but then again im very anal compulsive about my car. Im not saying you cant use Turtle wax (thats your choice), but they are known to hide the real damage that exists and by hide I mean not in a good way. You could be using the wrong technique on your paint and not know the damage you are doing.
    I would agree that they are not the "best" to use, but some of their products are more that good enough for the average Joe. I wouldn't use their compounds either "thats why I didn't recommend them". Their scratch remover is a polish that will work great for many applications.
    Last edited by sn-95; 04-14-2013 at 07:49 AM.

I need to stop spending money on detailing products. I swear its an addiction. The good stuff costs add up

+1
    I need to stop spending money on detailing products. I swear its an addiction. The good stuff costs add up

Tell me about it...I usually hit up the AIM truck for my stuff....They just came out a great product for the black plastic on the IS/AS skis like yours...It works GREAT!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information