Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

04 Sea Doo GTX SC 185 hp

I have an 2004 GTX SC with 394 hrs on it. I have never been in Salt Water and don't jump a lot of waves. I ride WOT most of the time and jump a few waves here and there. I have never had the SC rebuilt so finally pulled it yesterday to send it off. The thing still looks new. From reading all the horror stories on here over the years I felt like I have been living on borrowed time. I have pretty much always lived by, If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It rule but love this toy. So far the only problem ever has been the one time I had a local Dealer change the Oil. While riding after their Oil change my Oil Sensor lite came on. I pulled to the side and checked it to find it was about 1/2" to high on the Dip Stick. I went back to the Dock and Drained it to the correct level. I ordered my own Oil Sensor and replaced it myself. Have changed my own oil since this Dealership screw up.
    Looking for thoughts on Buying a New SC or just having this one rebuilt. Will a New one ordered from this site have the Metal Washers?? Has there been many problems when people have the old one rebuilt? Thanks for any info....

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1
    Wow! You have had a good run. First problem you will have in buying a new super charger from the store is that they are designed for the 215 engine or higher. They will have the wrong size drive gear on them and they use a different clutch set up. The 185 didn't have any washers and had a different length SC shaft. I believe that in order to run the later SC, you need to run the later flywheel, upgrade the SC with a later year rebuild kit and also look at spacing the SC out from the MAG housing. I think you can upgrade the wheel in the SC if you use the same shaft, but you still won't have any clutch washers. Someone who has had an 185 ski and upgraded it should chime in. This info is from over 8 years ago when a friend and I were trying to get his 185 to go. He upgraded his running gear to the later model.

Hope this helps a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahaduster View Post
    I have an 2004 GTX SC with 394 hrs on it. I have never been in Salt Water and don't jump a lot of waves. I ride WOT most of the time and jump a few waves here and there. I have never had the SC rebuilt so finally pulled it yesterday to send it off. The thing still looks new. From reading all the horror stories on here over the years I felt like I have been living on borrowed time. I have pretty much always lived by, If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It rule but love this toy. So far the only problem ever has been the one time I had a local Dealer change the Oil. While riding after their Oil change my Oil Sensor lite came on. I pulled to the side and checked it to find it was about 1/2" to high on the Dip Stick. I went back to the Dock and Drained it to the correct level. I ordered my own Oil Sensor and replaced it myself. Have changed my own oil since this Dealership screw up.
    Looking for thoughts on Buying a New SC or just having this one rebuilt. Will a New one ordered from this site have the Metal Washers?? Has there been many problems when people have the old one rebuilt? Thanks for any info....

3. +1 by:

+1
    Simply order this rebuild kit for your 185HP: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=340

and send your SC to Jerry per these instructions: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146938

Jerry will have it back to you in less than a week and is the smartest easiest decision you will ever make!

You have been very lucky and I attribute this to the 185 only reving to 7650 max and not putting huge loads on the SC.

5. +1 by:

So.....RXP244 says the 04 had no washers=no problem, right??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowtb View Post
    So.....RXP244 says the 04 had no washers=no problem, right??
    Wrong, it had ceramic washers. The OP needs to do exactly what I posted in post #3.

RXP244 evidently is unaware of the kit specifically for the GTX SC 185HP as posted.

Look at my signature, I have owned the same model since 2005.

Thanks JT, Thats what I thought, just didn't want to miss something.

Thanks to all who responded. It does have the ceramic washers, looks like there are 5 of them. I did see that one looks like it is not as thick as the two above it. Maybe that is the wear and it has been gradual over the 394 hours. I was gonna hit 400 hours last season but we had to cancel a Tennessee River ride due to an Illness in the family. I had planned to do 400 hrs before I pulled it. So I take it from an above post that there is a New OEM Supercharger with the METAL Washers available that I can purchase here. I just don't want to buy a new one and it have the ceramic again. I am new to the site so still feeling my way around it. Thanks Again...

Always remember: A Man Without Toys is No Man At All.......

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

Yea all the new rebuild kits come with upgraded metal clutch washers.

Hey JT, what is that strainer you mention? I see you have numerous upgrades on your Doo.

One more question. Was reading about the Viton Seal. Is that inside the SC assembly? I didn't crack it open to look inside after pulling it, but want to replace what all I can when I rebuild or buy a new one. Thanks again....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information