Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1

Stupidest move while working on PWC?

So here we are, so close to riding season you can almost taste it (at least in Midwest US).

To lighten up the air a bit, post the dumbest thing you (now) wish you hadn't done while working on a PWC or boat.

I'll start it - I was having carb and/or ignition troubles on a standup Yamaha Superjet, and was experimenting with which cylinder was giving me the trouble. I pulled one of the spark plug boots while the machine was idling to see if there was a change...unfortunately at the time I was standing in about 6 inches of water on the dock ramp I had to literally yank my shoulder back to separate the lead from my hand. DOH!!! I won't be doing that again

+1
    Oh my god nice!...Mine is not working on one although I needed to after I was a total newb when I bought my first ski a Yamaha XLT1200...I was new to the sport and had a friend help me find one who had been riding for years and years but apparently that is all he did...did not do a compression test or test drive and guess what after purchase and first ride...boom! Only saving grace was a certified check I had for deposit that I stopped payment on...worked out a deal to rebuild engine...anyway live an learn wish I found this site before I made purchase but at least I can do regular maintenance on my VXR now!

+1
    While pulling the intake manifold on my FZR I disconnected the pressurized gas line and sprayed gas in my face and eyes.... I managed the wrap the gas line in a rag with my closed eyes before washing the gas off my face.

+1
    I've been building skis since the early 90s. I could write a book on stupid mistakes! Lol wouldn't know where to start. Some funny- some plain stupid. Like building a 951 for your wifes ski. She kept calling me to come for dinner and I kept telling her I'm in the middle of a motor. Hate stopping without a good stopping point. I always lay out all measured fluids and sealants ect I need for a build on the bench. Went and ate. Came back and finished few things I had left and spent the evening installing. Took it out next day for some break in and 5 minutes in it locks up. WTF?? Pulled it in and took it back to the shop. Figured IDE clean up bench before pulling motor. As I was cleaning I picked up my bottle of synthetic oil measured out to put in balance shaft cavity. Sh$t. There's the issue! It was full. After dinner forgot to put it in. Ate up a brand new hot rods crank and balance shaft. Word to wise. Pissing off wife is cheaper than a crank and balance shaft. Lol

+1
    Ask PychoWard, he has done enough to film a movie! Catching on fire, almost hitting a Jeep on the beach and has sunk many times.He'll chime in soon.

Not mine, but I helped a buddy with his FX SHO oil change. I swear they put that shit on with an impact wrench from the factory. Didn't do my research of how to do it or more so the hazards. Some owners will know there is a metal exhaust gasket tab right near the filter and it is goddamn sharp. Cut my wrist, then busted the filter out with a screw driver through the side of it and spilled a bunch of oil in the hull, and blood. GRRR.

On my machine, I've only dropped a bolt in the hull and popped a drain plug in the middle of a ride. No biggie.

+1
    Started ski up without pulling up dock rope

+1
    I was working at a rental place in Key West, I was the Yamaha mechanic and we had some idiots working down on the beach renting these jetskis out without checking things from time to time...well, one of them put a rag into the air hole under the seat on a Yamaha XL 700 under the seat, I have no idea why..plus the nitwits spilled gas into the hull of the ski whilst filling it up " about a half a gallon". Add this with the seat being closed, "air tight" for the entire morning and a bolt that was loose on the front cover that caused sparking, it sparked an explosion while two people were riding it out into the lagoon. BOOOM!!! Is all I heard but the jetski exploded and sent the two riders off into the water.

They subsequently sued the rental place and got a $1 million settlement. The jetski looked like you just blew it open like it was a paper bag..I'll never forget that sound. Boom!

+1
    Well I guess I will chime in ... I have had skis for about 8 years now and never really worked on them, just rode. However, after my first race last year & got totally blown out! I desided to get two moddified GP1300R, so I now work on them ALL The Time! I was cutting some chain for the trailer saftey tie-down ... I had it in a vice .... yep, a piece flew up and hit me on the forehead right between the eyes. I did have on safty goggles but I now have a new scare that my wife never seems to let me forget about. Why is it that some wives think always working on skis is a dumb thing? Ha Ha

+1
    Dam I get blown off for 1 million

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information