Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

scored a 1999 polaris genesis needing some help

So I recently picked up a 1999 Polaris Genesis 1200 carbed ski in a trade. She is in need of some work but I've already started cleaning her up. So far I have got her back to where she will start and idle, recovered both seats, and started buffing out the hull. Here is a list of the issues

Gauge cluster doesn't power up and im not sure where to find the fuse for it. I checked the plug going into the back of it and only the yellow wire is providing 12 volts.

It starts up but won't rev past 1200-1500 rpms almost like it's hitting a rev limiter. Changed out the plugs to NGK BR9ES as the plugs, NGK BR8ES, looked very old and rusty. I run the NGK BR9ES iridium plugs in my honda 250R 3 and 4 wheelers with great results and very very rarely ever have them foul out. All 3 cylinders are getting warm so I know they are all hitting and if i spray starting fluid into the air cleaner im not able to rev it up anymore so thats why im leaning more towards and electrical rev limiter or something rather than a fuel issue.

The forward reverse controls don't change the position of the rear snoot/diverter so I have to look into that issue.

There is some rattling coming from under the ski that sounds as if it might be coming for the drive system or it could be the trailer rattling even not 100% sure but i did notice that there are holes for 4 bolts to go through the hull and there are no bolts installed, the holes are located closer to the rear of the ski. Also there appears to be a plate missing under the ski right by where the speed sensor is located and im not sure what is suppose to go there. I will try and take some pics and post them shortly.

A little background on me is I am an instructor for all the Electronic Technicians for the Navy so i'm good at trouble shooting electrical systems and I own 5 honda 250r atvs so im good with 2 strokes. This is my first jetski as I wanted to get something for the wife for this summer since I already have a 460 powered jet boat for myself. thanks for any help.
    Last edited by jcorkin; 03-16-2013 at 01:02 PM.

+1
    Welcome to the hulk, you have come to the right place! TONS of knowledge here, and they will help you get this ski running like new.

Here are some pics of it

After i recovered the seat

The silver rtv is where the bolt holes are and appears to be a missing strap of some kind too

Missing Cover by the speed sensor

Couple shots of the engine compartment

Im only an hour and a half from you Drkvampire2001, i live down by kenosha wi

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcorkin View Post
    ... The silver rtv is where the bolt holes are and appears to be a missing strap of some kind too

Missing Cover by the speed sensor

Couple shots of the engine compartment

Welcome

The 1999 Genesis has some unique features that do not appear on any other model or year.

In particular, the exhaust system (stock) has unique dual under water exhaust exits. There are special exhaust fittings on the bottom of the hull. Also unique is the exhaust Y connection between the water box and the exhaust outlets under the hull. The Y connection can be seen in the last photo above.

1999 was the very first year for the Genesis model. It came with either a red 1165 carburetor engine (which you have) or the also-new-for-1999 FFI Ficht fuel injected red engine. Both engines were mechanically the same, but the electrical systems and of course the fuel system are very different.

There are TWO electrical boxes on the 1999 Genesis, one in the rear near the engine. The second one I think is tucked away behind the front storage area. Look for a screwed on panel, it may be behind there. Or higher up behind the steering shroud (may be thinking of a different model year)

There is supposed to be an intake grate in front of the speed sensor. The intake grate is specific to the Genesis hulls, none of the intake grates for other model Polaris will fit.

It looks like the entire ride plate is missing from under the jet pump. I think the ride plate is a Genesis model specific part.

You will need to spend some quality time with the info in my signature links, and have a long gander at the parts diagrams on the Polaris Industries parts pages.

I suggest you will need to go through your machine from end to end. Not only may there be other parts missing, you cannot assume that what is there is indeed properly connected, or in operational condition. These older watercraft take some time and effort to get into reliable condition. Once you have done the initial work, with regular maintenance they tend to run well for years.

For example, I see the rubber gasket peeking out from underneath the plastic speed sensor (pitot) looks split. This can leak water into the hull over time.

So after looking around online at some pics it looks like im missing the skid plate and thats what the bolts would have held up. So now i guess i will be on the hunt for a skid plate and the hardware.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if the console is dark, no doubt it's hitting a rev limiter..open the electric box..that's where you'll get an idea of what may be going on with the ski. Consoles are scarce these days, but there is a way of bypassing the console rev limiter, but you'll need to rig up an alarm for overheat/low oil to be safe ( not all that difficult)

let's see some pics!

I posted pics earlier but it said i had to wait for a moderator to review them before they would post. So i went out and did a compression test and came up with 135psi across all 3 cylinders so i started her up again and it was still on the limiter so i disconnected the plug from the back of the gauge and i was able to rev it to about 3500 rpms before it would bog out a bit, maybe its a different rev limiter or it is the reverse rev limiter since i cant get the forward and reverse buttons to do anything it might think its in reverse so now we go into the electrical systems to see whats going on. anybody have schematics for this beast? after that i guess i will move onto the carbs.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... I went out and did a compression test and came up with 135psi across all 3 cylinders so i started her up again and it was still on the limiter so i disconnected the plug from the back of the gauge and i was able to rev it to about 3500 rpms before it would bog out a bit, maybe its a different rev limiter or it is the reverse rev limiter since i cant get the forward and reverse buttons to do anything it might think its in reverse so now we go into the electrical systems to see whats going on. anybody have schematics for this beast? after that i guess i will move onto the carbs.
    Did I mention that a lot of the info you need can be found here?

Reverse mode will indeed limit RPM to about 3500.

Get the electrical sorted out, then the Reverse should start working.

You can directly power the Reverse system by holding down the Bilge button. The bilge pump should run, and the Reverse motor should work.

+1
    Im only an hour and a half from you Drkvampire2001, i live down by kenosha wi
    Ah ok I have another greenhulk friend in milwaukee. '

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information