Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EGT Gauges

EGT Gauges

Since Racpak, HotTach and Avenger series are no longer made what is everyone using for a Gauge? I see some well priced ones made by Koso and Digatron, but do not know anyone who has used one. Anyone have any feedback? I do not like the idea of paying $250+ for a 10 or more year old HotTach.

+1
    I've been looking at Koso too, but am not sure about how water proof they are. I can just picture my ski floating upside down in the ocean now... how water-tight are these units? I feel they are more made for snowmobiles. The Racepak at least looked somewhat watertight... I'm in the market for a system like this as well, as should anyone who works on their own 2-strokes!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    4 stroke guy here, I'd be interested as well. I'm following this.

Sean

+1
    Well, just got off the phone with the tech line, and they say that the Koso display is not rated to go UNDER water, but if it gets splashed or rained on, it'll be okay. Also, they could not tell me how slow the refresh rate is on their "regular" unit, but that the fast response is 4x faster. Not sure if that's worth an extra $100. I'm thinking of getting this and maybe gooping the S*!t out of it with black silicone and crossing my fingers that I never flip my XP It's getting way too hard to find those old Hot Tachs unfortunately, and I'm not sure they're any better when submerged.

+1
    Does anyone out there know the refresh rate of the standard or fast-response sensors? Anyone submerge theirs?

+1
    I thought EGT sensors didn't work well on 2 strokes. If you did use them they wouldn't get wet - cooling water and exhaust gases don't mix until the waterbox

+1
    Not the case for any seadoo I've ever seen. I have water being injected at several places along the exhaust route, starting at the collector. I sure wouldn't want a 1000degF pipe right next to my plastic fuel tank I've heard of those crazies running dry pipes and don't know how they don't melt the fiberglass... insulation wrap maybe?

+1
    the yamaha pipe is waterjacketed, from the the exhaust manifold (where you would put the EGT gauge) all the way to the bottom of the stinger

+1
    Oh I see what your concern was now. Yea, the seadoo pipe is jacketed until it hits the lower part of the expansion pipe. The headers are jacketed on top and bottom, but not on the sides. That's where I plan to insert the probes.

Does anyone know anything about the Avenger I by Racepak? I know there was an avenger 2 and Hot Tach 1 and 2 as well. I don't know what the differences are or the hierarchy. Not sure if it's worth $100, but it seems to do everything I need from the instruction manual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information