Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Aftermarket jet pumps any good?

Hey guys, the plastic pump in my gtx sc is completely stuffed. Are the complete after market replacement units on eBay etc any good? Or does anyone have a good used metal pump for sale? Not sure which way to go.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I've had no problems with aftermarket pumps ( and I've installed a whole bunch of them), but beware depending on the year of your ski, you may want to go with a direct replacement. as there was a driveshaft change during the production. A used pump identical to your on ebay might be a good idea....

Always post the year of your ski when asking questions..makes things quicker

+1
    Thanks Pete. Sorry I should have put up the year, its an 03 so the pump has seen better days. Just ordered one of the aftermarket ones, hopefully it solves my horrible cavitation.

+1
    you may be needing a driveshaft and some other items also as the early pumps are different then the ones they are shipping these days length wise. The early pumps were discontinued. I got bit hard on that last year when my estimate on a pump replacement suddenly had to double when my contact at riva told me I was going to "be in a whole lot of pain" after I got the bill for all the stuff I needed.

Unless your pump had major damage on all the stator fins, you may want to go another route...

I'm down at the shop tomorrow..I'm going to pull the work orders and if time permits write a quick faq on what's needed when you replace the pump on the early 4-tecs with the later ones.

This might only affect 2002 model 4-tecs..hre's some info from a previous discussion:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94857
    Last edited by nmpeter; 03-18-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added new thread info

+1
    Unfortunately my stator vanes are destroyed from sucking up rocks while trying to rescue a Yamaha rider who stuck himself on top of them. I hope I don't have the odd drive shaft, however if I do is there anything stopping me getting the impeller machined so it is setback slightly toward the stator vanes to offset the shaft length? I havre also had the offer of a rebuilt oem pump from a forum member if the new one ends up being unsuitable. Thanks for the advice so far!

+1
    it's not possible to fit the new pump without changing the shaft and If memory serves the pto bearing holder. if the oem pump is the same model year, I'd go with that, but I'll follow up on the driveshaft stuff tomorrow sometime.

+1
    I went thru all my old riva invoices on line and found the one where I had to order all that pump stuff.

The pump housing that needs the newer shaft (271001449) is 267000312.... You'll know you're screwed if the tail cone doesn't fit. That's one of the telltales between old style and new. I had to get a new tailcone for the replacement pump. I pulled out a folder of invoices from the files I keep at home and found the pump job.

As I explained on the work order..the ski was a 2002..the pump design was changed sometime in 2003 and they discontinued the old pump in 2005 for parts... so the later model pump had to be used which added several hundred to the cost of the job..I'm going to have to look at the junk pump pile tomorrow..for the life of me I can't remember if the damaged pump was plastic ( I think it was).

see if you spot a part number on the pump housing and also see the layout of the bolts for the tailcone. If the bolts are 120 spaced..it's the old style

some quick web searches were not conclusive as to what is what and this old man's memory ain't that hot anymore

+1
    Thanks for looking through all that. From what I've found after having a look on the parts microfiche the 02 models had a completely different pump setup, hopefully anyway. I'm not sure what you mean by the 120 spacing? If that's in mm my tailcone isn't even that wide, and distance hole to hole is about 65mm. Oops just checked, if you mean the venturi my bolt spacing is 130.
    Last edited by brendanm; 03-19-2013 at 04:31 AM. Reason: double checked

+1
    120 degree spacing on the bolt holes allowed the tail cone to go in anyway you like. the later pumps have them offset so the cone can only go on one way.

+1
    Ok well sadly the spacing on mine is 120 degree by the looks of things. However having a look at the pictures of the new pump it has both bolt spacings for the cone. Im in Australia so have to wait for it to arrive here, hopefully be here monday or tuesday at the latest. Ill measure all relevant things on both the old and new pumps and post the findings and the ebay listing I purchased for future reference, if it works. Fingers crossed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information