Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1995 Polaris SLT 750 MFD question????

Name:  speedometer.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  7.2 KBI just bought a 1995 polaris SLT 750. It has a regular polaris speedometer that is broken. I couldnt find the gas gauge, but after looking on here, it looks like my ski came with the multi function digital gauge. I ordered another used regular speedometer to replace the identical one that was in mine. My question is.... we this gauge work the same ( measures speed) as the digital one that it came with. I guess i lost the gas gauge forever or pay big bucks for mfd. Thanks

+1
    Welcome to the hulk

you dont need to spend big bucks for an MFD, you will find one eventually, but yes they will read the same

Thanks Drkvampire, was sure with one being digital and on analog. I guess they both work off the same pressure. I only took my ski out once. The needle was broke in half and work for the first part of the ride, but stopped working. Also, after a few hours, we pulled it out of the water. There was a little water the ran out of the plug hole and the motor was a little wet. I guess this is normal, like my inboard/outboard boat? My first jet ski, so a newbie. Thanks again

+1
    you will learn a lot here, TONS of knowledgeable people, water in the hull is somewhat normal, but not tons of it, now the speedometer works off preassure if there is a hole in that line or crack, you will get a lot of water in the hull. now have you gone threw the fuel system? those skis are prone to melting down a cylinder, you are going to want to replace all the fuel lines and go threw the carbs. so you dont destroy a piston! Im sure K447 will post here, you need to look at his signature links, they will teach you SO MUCH about your machine. it would be best to replace that analog gauge back with a digital as it will give you RPM, Clock, Trip, Hours, Speed, its nice to have.

I read about that triple fuel pump thing. I wanted to ask your opinion about it. I'm not sure if those have been replaced. I've only taken it once. It cranked quick and ran great. It idled a little rough, but figured it was normal. My normal motto is if it aint broke dont fix it. It ran so good, Im scared to mess with it. But sounds like i better check. Will I have to adjust any thing if i just change the fuel pump and lines. Oh, and find the auto thing that needs to come off. Thanks Drkvampire for answering a newbie

+1
    just because its running great for now, doesnt mean it will be for long. the triple outlet fuel pump is a must. why not spend a few hundred dollars now and keep the ski running well.

Definately, It just hard to work on a jet ski, unless you live on a lake. At least with the boat, I can run it with a hose. The jet ski can only crank for a couple minutes. Is there a trick to make it easier to work on? Also, what kind of grease do you use to grease the couple of fittings, Marine grease i guess? I ordered a service manual, just didnt come yet.

+1
    you have to be careful running a ski out of the water, not only does the engine require the water to cool but it also requires it for the jet pump bearings. you can run a ski engine on a hose as well, but you need to start the ski then start the water, turn off the water, then turn off the ski but still not very long as youll burn up your pump bearings....I wont if you had 2 hoses one spraying on the pump( from under the ski the direction of water flow) if it would help with not heating up the pump bearings? hrmmm

Banned User
    +1
    There is rarely a need to run one on a hose, unless you are flushing it out after salt water use. Most things that need to be done can be done withing the 15 or 20 seconds you can run one without a hose hook up. I have honestly never had a hose hooked to any of my skis. I think a lot of people do more harm than good by running them on the hose.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmd13 View Post
    ... My normal motto is if it ain't broke dont fix it. It ran so good, I'm scared to mess with it. But sounds like i better check...
    On these old watercraft, a better motto would be 'If I haven't serviced it yet, it probably needs attention'.

You just cannot run these things 'until they stop' because they will be stopping, and breaking, a whole lot more often than you might want. Do the work up front to go through the machine and inspect, check, rebuild, clean, lubricate, update, etc. The only way to have a reliable older watercraft is for you to make it reliable.

It is zero fun to have a watercraft fail when you are out on the water somewhere, far from shore, and perhaps without a tow boat nearby.

It is also more expensive to repair a damaged engine because you did not upgrade the fuel pump, or clean the carbs, or whatever.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information