Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Looking at a used S3 RXP... few questions.

I got a line on a used RXP that supposedly has a Stage3 kit installed. I am not sure of what year or color it is as just got a message from the gentleman and haven't returned his call yet. My first set of questions are: How can I tell if it truely has a S3 since the upgrades from S2 are mostly internal? Can I check model or serial numbers on the ECM? Are the new injectors a different color? How difficult is it to check the valve train to see if it has been upgraded? Any distinguising marks on the SC?
    What do you guys thing about buying a heavly modded ski? I come from the automotive world and I would usually shy away from such a used vehicle. Any quick checks I can do besides taking it for a test ride and check RPM's and GPS speed? Lastly what would be a good price? I have been looking for a couple of weeks and it seems the average is around 8K for a stock 04-06 in good condition.

+1
    I wouldn't buy a ski that heavily modded unless I knew and trusted the person who built the ski.

Hook up with Alex13. He has a S3. He's from down by you. Good guy. Maybe he can help you out

do a compression test on the engine & a pressure tesr on the i/c easy way 2 check ecu is ride it if it turns 8400 r's the its a aftermarket ecu

Is Jarrets 06 RXP still for sale? You should check into his RXP!

Banned User
    We'll; Riva sells the Kit + '06 ski for 16,500.00. The only thing you would be able to see is the external IC,Pro-Block-offs,Rear exhaust,Riva sponsons, Billet BOV, Metal SC/IC tubes,ECU says Riva on it. When you test ride you sould know.. 8400 RPM @ 78-80 MPH in the cold weather in flat conditions. Also you can check the the BUDS thingy; I have two, one that is normal and one that stops at 60 MPH. That's how Riva sets it up;if the learner one won't go over 45 or so, it's not the S3 ECU. It should have the adjustable nozzle on the rear also.
    Last edited by Alex13; 02-21-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    I wouldn't buy a ski that heavily modded unless I knew and trusted the person who built the ski.
    Amen to that!!! Ask him if he has been on this or other sites. You can also sort of tell what kind of person he is if you could read some of his posts and get to know a little about him as well. Just be careful and cautious and try to get an intellegent RXP or other 4 Tech owner to go with you to check it out. Sounds like you will be dropping a good amount of cash if it is a Stage III.

+1
    I appreciate the responses guys. I will be going to look at it tomorrow afternoon so I will be able to share a little more info then. If it is a Riva boat I may be more inclined to get it if the price is right. But if it is a 'piece-milled' S3 I will most likely pass on it.
    Is there anything else generally speaking about the RXP I should be looking out for?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKID View Post
    I appreciate the responses guys. I will be going to look at it tomorrow afternoon so I will be able to share a little more info then. If it is a Riva boat I may be more inclined to get it if the price is right. But if it is a 'piece-milled' S3 I will most likely pass on it.
    Is there anything else generally speaking about the RXP I should be looking out for?
    It may well be a Riva built Stage III and he may have all of the paperwork. Stage III's do require a lot of TLC too. Just be sure that nothing took a "crap" and everything checks out. A leak down test is one of the best ways to check out a motor. But, that is only one of many areas to check if you are ready to drop a good amount of cash. You are gonna take it out for a ride, right? Not trying to undermind you, just trying to look out for you. It very well may be a great deal and a great ski....Good luck....

+1
    If it passes the visual inspection tomorrow and I get a good overall feeling about it I will move on to the test drive and mechanical inspection. I bought my RX used and havent had any problems out of it although it was bone stock at the time. I am just mainly looking for advice on the quirky things specific to the RXP since pretty much all I know about them is what I have read here and other internet resources. I just like to an 'informed buyer'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information