Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

FX Water Intake Shutoff Valve for Towing

I have been using the search in a bunch of different ways and am unable to find anything. Very surprised.

Need to install for a ocean crossing trip in May. I know it is straightforward but I'm most worried about any restriction of waterflow through the ball valve and wanted to see specifically what has been successful.

+1
    Get the sharkbite brass ball valve that already has the male ends on it from Home Depot. It is like $11.00. I don't know the size for Yamaha. The SeaDoo is 1"

+1
    I have one on mine for towing. Put another valve on the IC connection as well if you have separate connection to the pump. If you have a leak to the IC plumbing you can then turn it off and salvage your trip for that as well.

+1
    Also if your worried about restriction use a 3/4" valve and whatever barbs you need for your IC line and motor. That's what I did.

+1
    Why do I care about the intercooler line. If i'm under tow that water isn't going to cause any damage is it? I'm looking at the highly unlikely scenario of having to tow long distance at medium speed and in rough water. Need simple and reliable. Just looking at stopping major damage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    Why do I care about the intercooler line. If i'm under tow that water isn't going to cause any damage is it? I'm looking at the highly unlikely scenario of having to tow long distance at medium speed and in rough water. Need simple and reliable. Just looking at stopping major damage.
    I think what he meant by this was if your IC started leaking water, you could valve off the water feed to it and still be able to ride your ski "at low speed" to a siutable place to get it repaired instead of having to get it towed. I don't think these skis start making boost until around 6K rpm so you'd be able to ride it at low speed without fear of causing engine damage.

7. +1 by:

+1
    ok...there is a hell of a lot that can go wrong. thank you nash but i'm just looking to be able to tow the ski. there is so much that can go wrong that if any does i just want to tow it and retain my warranty. do not want to flood the engine which is the ultimate sin.

+1
    I just keep a rubber vacuum cap in my tool kit to block off the inlet fitting...simply pull the hose off & put the cap in it's place. IMO, adding an inline valve is adding another possible point of failure.

Looks like this & can be found at any auto parts store...
    http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Vacuum-...rds=vacuum+cap

+1
    mjh can you take a quick picture of where you place this? I have the typical hose clamps. But worry in rough water they could come undone. And if you can envision being in 3-4 footers getting down that hole and doing much if anything at all is very, very difficult. As a matter of fact the seat and bucket are tethered to keep them from falling out of the footwell and floating away if that area has to be accessed. Everything in the bucket secured to the bucket physically.

+1
    I don't have the ski here to take a pic, but if you're looking into the rear section of the hull, look for the two hose fittings on the transom on the port side of the hull. The one on the bottom is the cooling water feed from the pump. That's the one to cap off.

Yes, it probably easier to turn a valve while in heavy seas offshore, but it's also a lot worse dealing with a ski that's half full of water in those conditions because a hose clamp or the valve itself breaks. The only time I've had my SHO towed is because of stupid clamps breaking, which is why I believe the fewer clamps the better. A couple years back I swapped out all the OEM for oetiker style clamps & only used a handful of worm gear clamps in a few places to make it easier to work on. Even with just a few of those left I've still had them break & almost sink me. I'm now upgrading the remaining worm gear clamps to mini SST T-bolts for a little more peace of mind. It's not rough seas that causes them to fail, it's pressure. At WOT there is a lot of water pressure coming off the pump & even more so on modified skis.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/285/=ly6dlv

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information