Unhappy What is better, sleeved or plated cylinders?

I have a 99 ultra that had a piston break. I'm going with a Hotrods crank. My question is should I stay plated or sleeve the cylinders? Any recommendation where to send them to or where to do an exchange? I know plated cylinders dissipate heat better, but I have been told the life isn't as good.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    good quality plating last basicaly for life , as long as you replace the wearing member out before the ring becomes SHARP

personally I would plate or buy new OEM cylinder , yes they are dearer but you know you are getting the right product

sleeves wear out faster than a plated cylinder

Waz

+1
    SBT sells sleeved cylinders. Average life is about 10 hours... In this engine, you MUST run plated cylinders!

I picked up an ultra with the steel sleeves already done. I put about 45 hours on her already. But I do have a set of stockers and when she needs a top end I will be sending them out to be replated.

But I think its more important to figure out what broke that piston. Have you opened the carbs up to take a look?
    Last edited by turboman412; 03-22-2013 at 11:40 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    I picked up an ultra with the steel sleeves already done. I put about 45 hours on her already. But I do have a set of stockers and when she needs a top end I will be sending them out to be replated.
    Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick...

+1
    Plating is the logical choice. As stated, the life span of a plated cylinder is indefinite barring a catastophic failure that damages it. Send the cylinders that need plating to Millennium Technologies. Here is a link to there website.
    http://www.mt-llc.com/

Lol steve I don't think she will blow up my bets on loose compression... after 45 hours compressions still at 120 across all 3 cylinders. I'm going to see how long she will last... I have an extra engine from a parts ski I picked up.

+1
    On a stock sized piston engine, best to use plated. Cooling and long life are the main reasons. That being said, I have a Group K 1350 big bore kit, with about 100 hrs on it. Other than loosing a piston when I first got the kit,( bad buckshot carb) its been very reliable for a sleeved engine.Compression is 145,147 ,145

Biggest thing is to be sure the cooling system never get restricted at the head fittings, that will kill a sleeved engine faster than a plated one. Groco filter is a must.

Long life is achieved through proper jetting, cooling, oil quality (not amsoil), and never swap out the stock air box for flame arresters.

Thread Information