Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking to buy a brand new ski. Need advice

So to give you a little background, i need advice on what to do with my current situation. I figured here would be a great place. So right now i currently own a 1999 kawasaki stx 900. I really like it and its in great condition with only 67 hours. I just had a bunch of work done to it for about $450 including a fix for the start problem it always had. Ive owned it only for a year but ive rode it a lot.

Now i have a new temporary job that pays well. Im only lookin to do it for a little bit to get money for school and have some extra. So i figured maybe i should look to upgrade. Ive figured out that yamaha is the way to go and i was looking at the 2013 yamaha fx cruiser sho. I mean i almost have the money right now im in talks with the dealer close to me. The lady told me we would talk prices when the season was close. So basically my questions are:

Should i sell my current one and put that money and job money towards a new one? I know i could definitely get what i payed for my current owner which is $3000. My one thing with a new one is the warranty. I dont really know how warranty works with jet skis but i would buy as much extended warranty as possible through yamaha. Does it cover wear and tear? If some part goes on it? I figured you guys would know about this as knowing how the warranty works would really help me in my decision.

My worry is i will start the season with the one i have right now and something will go wrong with it and i will have to pump more money into it and be off the water a lot like last year Then also with how much the one i want is. I mean i really think it wold be worth it and I have the money i just dont know.

I also have friends that would want to ride it and i would just be scared to death of something happening while one of them is on it you know?

Any help would be appreciated!

+1
    1. Yamaha FX SHO is a good choice.

2. Yamaha Y.E.S. Warranty for up to 5 years; another good choice.
    Wear and tear not covered, but any defective part is.

3. Letting friends ride your ski; NOT always a good choice.
    Make sure you have insurance on the ski.

More stuff here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93951

3. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post

More stuff here:

The only thing I have ever agreed with YoYamma on. Get the warranty. And be VERY careful who you let ride it. There are countless stories on here of people who let their friends ride/borrow their skis and they come back swamped or wrecked.

+1
    I have always let friends ride my skis... Good friends only that I know can pay my deductible and have not touched a drop of alcohol that day.

Banned User
    +1
    Friends who are experienced or somewhat experienced are usually ok.

+1
    I just got a new 2012 fx sho cruiser. The reasons I got it was power. My sister last season bought 2 skis, 1 vx, 1 fx sho. The vx was fine, it performed well until I drove the sho. Wow what a ride. I loved the extra power, the cruise control is real nice. I'm no expert but I know what I like. The ho I'm sure would have been fine but i am more financially set than you. I'm older an more established in life. The warrenty is a must for me also because of a bad atv experience. 4k for motor repair. My fault, all my fault... The shop hour rate around me is $80 per hour. I bought the 5 yr yes warrenty for $600 + tax. To me well worth it. I have had a slow boat before, when I get passed I never thought haha I get better gas mileage than you... You have to live with your decision, not me. I bought my boat when it is cold because during the summer the dealer seems more proud of the ski. I saved some money waiting till winter. Good luck in your search!!
    Last edited by Exostatic; 03-22-2013 at 12:47 PM.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Friends who are experienced or somewhat experienced are usually ok.
    the only good thing about the new boaters license in WA is that usually people that have them are familiar with boats and jetskis those who don't have cant ride my ski (insurance wont cover them)

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post

More stuff here:

Thank you everyone. Toyamma I read your tips page and had a few questions.

One was that skis are not rly made to jump waves. I thought they totally were. Is this why I had problems with mine last year? I ride in lake erie where usually theres a good chop.Cause a dealer I was talkin to says the sho would handle anything on Lake Erie.

then i read your thing about the extended warranty. I was disappointed it didn't cover wear and tear. Now with defective parts. If my engine or something would have major problems in like 2-3 years after I bought it, is that covered. I just don't want to get screwed over in a few years.

i just don't know if I should go through buying a sho for the $14-13,000 I will spend on it when I have one right now. I'm just worried about my current one breaking down and being off the water again like last year. That's why I'm lookin at getting a new one but with the way the warranty is, I just don't know like I said.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Miller View Post
    One was that skis are not rly made to jump waves. I thought they totally were. Is this why I had problems with mine last year? I ride in lake erie where usually theres a good chop.Cause a dealer I was talkin to says the sho would handle anything on Lake Erie.
    What does "jumping" mean to you? 2 feet of air? 10 feet of air? What is abuse?
    Some of the smaller, older model PWC have different hulls and lighter weight setups that are okay for jumping. These modern 4 strokes are not designed for "big air" in my opinion (too heavy). Don't get me wrong, the machine WILL do it, but you will end up paying a price for it eventually. Busted motor mounts, cracked bucket, damage to hull, etc, etc. We have people on this forum who have gone "nose-up" off massive waves, over and over in the surf, until the tide went out and they bottomed out their sterns on sandbars, cracked their hulls and then expect the warranty to cover it. We have people on here who make a habit out of running their ski completely out of the water, 15 feet up on the beach, and then wonder why their bottoms are destroyed. We have people who damage their engines by not following the instructions on flushing with a garden hose. So yes, you can abuse your machine. My owner's manual is pretty clear; page 12, it says do not jump wakes or waves. Of course, we all have done it; and I think you can limit it to smaller waves without abusing anything; you just have to use common sense and weigh the risks and be willing to accept them. Different people define "jumping waves" differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Miller View Post
    then i read your thing about the extended warranty. I was disappointed it didn't cover wear and tear. Now with defective parts. If my engine or something would have major problems in like 2-3 years after I bought it, is that covered. I just don't want to get screwed over in a few years.
    Hmm, what do you consider as "wear and tear?"
    Defective parts are covered; mechanical failures are covered. If you damage something, or you fail to put oil in your PWC engine, or your car engine for that matter, is that the manufacturer's fault? I had over $15,000 worth of warranty repairs on our two supercharged Sea-Doos in 4 years. This was all Sea-Doos problem and they stood behind their product. Trust me, the warranty is a good idea and worth the money. There is only one manufacturer I have heard of on this forum which has formally limited its warranty rebuilds to the "current value of the ski," (in writing) and that was Kawasaki, they buried it in the Good Times fine print and screwed some poor guy to the wall on it when he needed a second rebuild. I believe they have changed their policy on this, not sure. Keep in mind; some of these warranties will differ from state to state so do your research and read them carefully.

Like I said before; the Yamaha FX SHO is a good choice; I think you will love it.

Banned User
    +1
    Maybe consider the FX HO instead of the SHO. a little slower, but fewer things that can go wrong without the supercharger. I ride Lake Michigan and if I were choosing a new ski, that is the way I would go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information