Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry another ZXI 900 no spark thread. plz help. im lost

Hi, I recently bought a zxi 900 for real cheap knowing it had a no spark problem. I got a new battery for it and also replaced the Bendix and starter. That has nothing to do with the problem but that is where I'm at. I added a ground to the cdi box and that allowed the jetski to crank (with veryyyy little spark) but now the start button is unresponsive again. I turn the key and the dash lights light up properly, and the trim will move, but that is all.I've jumped out the starter with a screwdriver and it cranks, zero spark. Now I'm lost. I've tried to read all the forums but it was information overload. Any ideas? Please help!

Open up the electrcial box and locate 3 ign coils.
    Make sure the gnd wire (blk) is good to all 3 ign coils.
    Then check the hot (+) wires are OK to each ing coil as well - no pinching, shorted, cut, etc.
    On the 900 the electrical box lid (alum) is known to pinch coil wires.
    After the visual inspection, perform coil resistance check and peak voltage test.

3. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to GH..next time research you should research potential purchase here first. I hope you go this ski real cheap as the CDI box for that model has been discontinued and used ones go for a gazillion bucks ( if you can even find one..it was specific box only made for two model years).

I have one on my lot with a similar problem..first the starter..then the bendix ( fun working thru that little access hole right?) and then no spark. The charges on it are so high right now the guy stopped returning my phone calls, so I'm out a whole bunch of money. It was obvious that the ski had been jumpstarted till the starter melted down..I suspect the same with yours

Having to put a ground on the electric box to get it cranking should not have been needed..the harness has a bunch of ground points in there btw.

I'm hoping I'll be able to salvage some stuff to sell off of this and I doubt I'll take on pre 2000 model year skis this season without a hefty deposit.

Do a compression check on the engine and then try to part it out. Hope you can at least break even on it. Kaw parts are pricey and the ski has a pretty low book value.

I have a 1100 zxi in shop that had a harness fire..after pricing it all out I told the guy he should part the ski, even though it has a low hour rebuilt motor in it. I dopped my phone yesterday and when I went to get it I noticed a golfball sized hole in the hull that had been patched with candle wax and wire screening

Thanks ill try that tonight. As far as parting it out, that's extremely premature. I can get a new (used) CDI box for 150 bucks. But I'm not gonna part swap to find the problem. The reason I replaced the starter n Bendix was because the Bendix was sticking n I figured I might as well preventatively change the starter while I was down there. The ground to the CDI box at that point definately made a difference. I hooked a wire from the negative side of the battery and touched it to the box, lights immediately lit up, took it off, power went dead. Maybe because it wad unbolted? Now it doesn't help at all. Ill open up the box tonight again n dig around a little in there.

+1
    if you can find a box that is actually working..great deal..I've been looking for the "right one" one for months..

Boxes off another model kaw triple might or might not work, but I'm not taking an expensive guess. ZXI 900 boxes have been few and far between..even on ebay..so snatching one for $150 is a score.

Regarding the ground, there should be a ground path from the engine to the cdi you'll see when you get in there a whole bunch of harness wires go to a single ground point inside the box.

Given the nature of your issues, I'd be investigating the engine grounds to the cdi box, or you can just run a line from the negative batteryterminal to the CDI box and then another direct to a bolt on the engine.

That should give you an idea of where you stand.

Spikes when jumpstarting are cdi killers..only use a good charged battery for your troubleshooting..with the plugs out you'll have enough crank time to find the root of the problem.

good luck!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP! I opened up the CDI box, disconnected it and took it inside to thoroughly go over it. I found 2 broken wires and one of the spark wires was pinched in between the lids. I used a wire brush and cleaned every connection then put a dab of water/corrosion proofing gel on each connection. Reassembled and after a lil cranking it fired right up. Followed by a gigantic dense cloud of smoke. It was spraying a decent amount of oil out the exhaust hole. Im just gonna guess there was two years of oil from the fellow before me cranking away with no ignition. Im too nervous to attach the hose and run it, it seems like a delicate balance id rather not risk. I started it three times, a few minutes apart for about 10-20 seconds before turning it off. The smoke got less and less dense. Again thank you for your help.

Oh yea one more thing. While it was on it was idling at 6000 rpms. How do I adjust that, and what should I aim to have idle at?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I dopped my phone yesterday and when I went to get it I noticed a golfball sized hole in the hull that had been patched with candle wax and wire screening
    CANDLE WAX?!?!?!?!

Now that's pretty creative! (But stupid).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joecini86 View Post
    Oh yea one more thing. While it was on it was idling at 6000 rpms. How do I adjust that, and what should I aim to have idle at?
    Sounds like either the throttle is sticking (check that the cable is allowing the throttle arm to return to the idle stop). If that's not it, you probably have an air leak (loose intake nuts, carb mounting bolts, bad gaskets).

+1
    idle should be around 3k out of water..12-1500 in water ( pump will be loaded )

due to the extreme amout of "stuff" in the engine, I'd get it into the water before making any adjustments.

good work on the electric box btw. Let me know the part number printed on the cdi box you can get..I'll likely want it if it is an exact match for the ski I have on the lot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information