Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

85 JS 550 father son project

Been browsing around for a while and nice job on all your projects!!! Thought I would share ours.

Bought this 85 Js550 from one of my customers that had it sitting on a bench in his garage for 15 years. Have to find the pics but it was purple yellow green with hand painted Kawasaki on the side.

My son is soon to be 18 and is heading to the navy so I decided to make it a father son project for his last summer as my little boy.

Fresh pistons, shaved head, Mariner exhaust, West coast ride plate, KN West coast intake grate. Skat track prop.

Getting ready to reassemble next week

Comments and advice would be appreciated,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski 1.JPG 
Views:	2957 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	295607
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet ski 2.JPG 
Views:	1262 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	295608

+1
    Looks great, what brand of paint did you guy use?
    my dad and I are also working on a project, we picked up an '87 650sx and did some mods (see signature) and now were painting.

Its all ready and sanded but we need to wait till it warms up outside to start painting, the hand pole is already done, its just sitting there not connected, it was wrapped in a green carbon fiber looking vinyl. the whole body will be black and the other green in the picture is just painters tape so we could map out where the green strips will go when its done. We'll also put on some west coast, monster and Hydroturf stickers.

ATTACH=CONFIG]295612[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130302_173611.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	295612  

I will try to find the brand of paint for you, My friend is a body and paint guy. I made a trip to his house and he started handing me stuff I needed. I know that the black is a undercoating paint for engine bays and frames of cars, We wanted flat black thats what I got lol. the white is a 1 stage very thick epoxy based paint. And by the way we have No stickers, thats all hand drawn and masked. It took hours.....

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Appears you're already painting it so may be late, but I would suggest you do a bit of research into the old school boys tips and tricks used on this generation of stand ups. I do know they used to ditch/relocate the top air intake on the hood for less water intrusion, and also alot got rid of the above-water side exhaust outlet too.

Do make known what if any parts you need. I myself may still have some small parts left from part-outs of past years. I know I saw some deck inserts for the pump mountingthe other day when I was digging in a box. And, I may even have the rubber hood strap if you're needing to replace that. Let me (and all) know.

And most of all, HAVE FUN!!

Thanks Showme, I will keep it in mind, its a little too late to do any mods to this now, I did install 2 bilge pumps(hope it helps)
    To date, $50.00 for the ski, $75.00 for a 90 js550 ( fresh motor ,upgrades, exhaust,ride plate, intake) guy was going to start "racing" again and his wife decided to pull her car into the garage a wee bit too far and crushed the nose.
    Free paint and primer.....
    Sandpaper is the most expensive thing so far LOL

I do have a fully stock 550 engine and full exhaust, '90 driveshaft was different than 85, pump off 85 was cracked so no extra pump. and a tote full of "stuff" if anyone needs anything.

+1
    Sounds like a great father-son project! Hope he let's you ride it once in a while!

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by showmepro1200 View Post
    Appears you're already painting it so may be late, but I would suggest you do a bit of research into the old school boys tips and tricks used on this generation of stand ups. I do know they used to ditch/relocate the top air intake on the hood for less water intrusion, and also alot got rid of the above-water side exhaust outlet too.

Do make known what if any parts you need. I myself may still have some small parts left from part-outs of past years. I know I saw some deck inserts for the pump mountingthe other day when I was digging in a box. And, I may even have the rubber hood strap if you're needing to replace that. Let me (and all) know.

You wouldn't happen to have a 650sx stock waterbox.. little far fetched but thats the last part we need for our build. It came with a west coast waterbox that's loud as hell and I can already imagine the neighbors complaining.

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by showmepro1200 View Post

You wouldn't happen to have a 650sx stock waterbox.. little far fetched but thats the last part we need for our build. It came with a west coast waterbox that's loud as hell and I can already imagine the neighbors complaining.
    No waterbox, sorry. Had a 650sx at one time, was complete. Bought for $300, put turf on it and cleaned it up, rode for a season and flipped it for $1,375

To OP - welcome to the stand-up world. It's a disease not easily shaken off, if ever. I'm on my 3rd and fourth now (both Yamaha SJs)

+1
    @showmepro-- haha thats the plan, paid $600 for the ski, cleaning it up with a paint job and some other things and I'll probably be $900-1000 into it. then ill ride it for the season and probably get $1300 for it. Lotta work for a $300 dollar profit but it keeps me busy and the skis are all about havin fun anyway!

Nice ski i think it amazing i hope my js comes out as nice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information