Can't get driveshaft to go into the engine coupler (95 SLX)

Ok so I have a 1995 Polaris SLX that I'm currently restoring. It was missing the entire pump assembly and the carbs. I ordered a used pump and carb set and they arrived the other day. Well I'm right now trying to install the drive shaft but I can't seem to get it to fully seat into the coupler on the engine. Is there some sort of trick? I twisted the shaft while pushing it in to align the splines but it won't move forward! Did 95 and 96 SLX's use different driveshafts? Do they have the same number of splines? I believe the pump and driveshaft I received are from a 96 SLX.

+1
    I think the 95 used the short shaft & the 96 used the long.

+1
    maybe silly but have you made sure the end rubber of your old driveshaft did not stay in the coupler ? (mine did) there are 2 driveshafts with about 4inch difference in length i believe. And 2 types of couplers. Best to wait for one of the forum experts if your still struggling.

My 95 SLX has the extended shaft

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by auto culto View Post
    maybe silly but have you made sure the end rubber of your old driveshaft did not stay in the coupler ? (mine did) there are 2 driveshafts with about 4inch difference in length i believe. And 2 types of couplers. Best to wait for one of the forum experts if your still struggling.

My 95 SLX has the extended shaft
    I believe both are the extended pump setups. All of the spline counts should be the same. I would remove the pump from the hull, remove the shaft from the pump, and try to insert the shaft by itself into the coupler. This way you can provide lots of play when trying to get it to seat properly. It is possible for the coupler splines to be damaged, or the alignment could be way off - Did you pull the motor and reinstall?

Nevermind guys. There ended up being a rubber end piece that was blocking the shaft from fully going into the coupler. Thanks !!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by x2nervisx View Post
    Nevermind guys. There ended up being a rubber end piece that was blocking the shaft from fully going into the coupler. Thanks !!!
    there should be a rubber cap on both ends of the shaft. Did you have an extra one stuck in the coupling

Quote Originally Posted by auto culto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by x2nervisx View Post
    there should be a rubber cap on both ends of the shaft. Did you have an extra one stuck in the coupling
    Yep. There was one stuck in the coupler and i already had a rubber cap on the driveshaft going into the coupler.

Thread Information