Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How Much Pre-Mix

I have 2005 GP1300R that is currently being rebuilt. I wanted to know if its a good idea to add a pre-mix even if I use the oil injection. If so, what would be the ratio?

thanks

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rrt898 View Post
    I have 2005 GP1300R that is currently being rebuilt. I wanted to know if its a good idea to add a pre-mix even if I use the oil injection. If so, what would be the ratio?

thanks
    No - do only one or the other. Too much oil can be as bad as too little oil.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I was thinking of switching to premix, dont want the oil pump to fail on me.. but definitly choose one or the other, either way works just fine

+1
    I have always heard after a rebuild or new motor run oil in gas as well as oil pump for the first few tanks

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 992door View Post
    I have always heard after a rebuild or new motor run oil in gas as well as oil pump for the first few tanks
    Yeah you can go rich on oil to start after a rebuild. I presumed for purposes of my response that he/she was speaking long-term.

As far as pre-mix vs. oil pump use, CJ gpr you just opened a can-of-worms . I'm not going to get into the point/counterpoint that could develop now

+1
    Nope...your cylinder walls will just break-in with more oil differently than it would running say 40 to1 and it doesn't help. Break it in with the same amount oil you would normally run...the break-in process is more critical than the fuel/oil ratio imo. 5 minutes on the trailer on the hose, then 20 minutes on the water, 20 minutes on the beach, repeat with variance in throttle...find the breaking in thread on here and it will guide you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    Nope...your cylinder walls will just break-in with more oil differently than it would running say 40 to1 and it doesn't help. Break it in with the same amount oil you would normally run...the break-in process is more critical than the fuel/oil ratio imo. 5 minutes on the trailer on the hose, then 20 minutes on the water, 20 minutes on the beach, repeat with variance in throttle...find the breaking in thread on here and it will guide you.
    It seems their are alot of views on adding oil to the gas with oil injection. Most people say to add 1oz for every gallon. Could you send me the link on the break in process? I must be missing it, I can't find it.

thanks again........

+1
    For break in pre mix first tank 50:1 with oil injection per owners manual. Page 3-13

Link to owners manual.
    http://www.cajundude.com/GP1200R%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

If you are not running oil injection mix the first tank 32:1.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    For break in pre mix first tank 50:1 with oil injection per owners manual. Page 3-13

Link to owners manual.

The reason OEM says that is because they know the normal buyer of a jetski has no idea about breaking it in and will crank the ski from the dock and go bat-outta-hell the first ride. The extra oil does nothing but impede the rings setting in to cylinder walls. A great tuner/builder friend of mine is the one who not only preached this method, he wrote about it numerous times in Jetski magazines..he was right. We have never had a problem with using the normal mix with your break-in. The initial break-in process is the most important part of the engine's first hour of running not the oil.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post

Link to owners manual.

The reason OEM says that is because they know the normal buyer of a jetski has no idea about breaking it in and will crank the ski from the dock and go bat-outta-hell the first ride. The extra oil does nothing but impede the rings setting in to cylinder walls. A great tuner/builder friend of mine is the one who not only preached this method, he wrote about it numerous times in Jetski magazines..he was right. We have never had a problem with using the normal mix with your break-in. The initial break-in process is the most important part of the engine's first hour of running not the oil.
    I understand what your saying that the more oil creates less resistance/friction which helps seat your rings. It makes sense. Yes friction seats your rings, but what about the loose metal from bearings and cylinders during break in that isn't getting suspended in oil? It is creating friction which is wear. Honestly I don't really think it matters when it comes to 2 smokes unless it is a race ski and you are trying to get every pound of compression.

I look at it this way. I'm going to redo my top end at 100 hours no matter what regardless of the compression. On the other hand I'm going to I want to get the most out of this crank. So I came to the conclusion that I will mix 32:1 regardless to keep my crank bearings happy for the long run.

If you could find the article you mentioned I would like to read it. Not trying to sound like a d!ck, but it sounds like an interesting read and I would like to see the difference in break in's. I have never seen anyone post concrete compression numbers saying said break in was better then the next. I wouldn't really expect it be accurate either as every motor is different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information