Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2006 RXP starting issue

Hey, I have a 06 RXP with 20 hours on it and it seems that somewhere in the starter, there is something faulty. I have put in a new battery and a new starter solenoid. My only thought is a bad button? Any ideas would help?

+1
    Check your 30 amp fuses

Do you have beeps, dash gauges, and hear the fuel pump?

Fuses are good.

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    Do you get a clicking noise or nothing at all? A few more details of the symptoms could help us help you if you get my drift.

Check the main battery earth to the engine block, not just visually, but remove it, clean it and put it back etc.

What is the main battery earth? There was a clicking noise during this previous summer. I would have to press the button over and over this past summer to have it start. Now there is nothing, no clicking no noise of any sort besides the beeping from the key. The dash and fuel pump both light up and work normally. It doesnt click or anything like that it doesnt do anything when I hit the button.
    Last edited by ot65; 03-24-2013 at 12:36 PM.

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    Ok, if you have already replaced the solenoid and battery with known good ones then I would be checking the following.

Battery positive lead from the battery to the starter. The starter motor is located under the exhaust manifold and the connection where the battery lead meets the starter motor is a bit hard to get to. It bolts on with a 10mm nut.

The main earth lead from the battery to the engine block. It bolts on to the engine block at the front above the front engine mount. There should be 3 sets of wires that bolt on here, with three bolts. the other two bolts provide the earths for the ECU and MPEM etc. Check all of them whilst you are there.

If all of these check out good / clean / unbroken etc then you want to bridge the starter solenoid. Take a pair of pliers and where the two chunky cables bolt on to the solenoid, touch one leg of the pliers on each of the posts. This way the pliers are connecting the terminals and by passing the solenoid. If it cranks over then it's going to be a solenoid or feed to the solenoid / switch fault.

If it fails to crank over then it could be a lead problem still, defective starter motor or battery.

Some will disagree the bushman's method of the pliers on the solenoid, but its quick and effective. Watch out for a little spark or two as you do it, that's normal. Make sure you have no loose fuel before doing the bridging.

Report back what happens for more help.

So we did as you described in your post and the motor turned over when the two posts were bridged with the pliers. When you hit the start button you can hear the fuel pump turn on again so I know the button is working.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ot65 View Post
    So we did as you described in your post and the motor turned over when the two posts were bridged with the pliers. When you hit the start button you can hear the fuel pump turn on again so I know the button is working.
    Replace the Bad starter Selenoid, sounds defective

Put a known working selenoid in the ski and there was no change.

+1
    If it turned over when you jumped the solinoid then its bad or you have a loose connection

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information